Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Who has Phlox Jeana?

Each off season I get a plant or two (or three) in my bonnet and this time it is Phlox Jeana.

I have read that it is exceptionally floriferous (small flowers) for an extended period with very good mildew resistance and is unequalled for a Phlox in terms of bee and butterfly attraction.

Well I procrastinated and the mail order nursery I sometime use sold out of and so I began my search in earnest.

I was able to track one down just today although it isn't a great specimen it is alive (pic below)..

Of course I am interested in your experiences with this particular phlox

Comments (17)

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

I have it.....its a good phlox definitely attracts butterflies....in fact the butterflies prefer it to some of the other phlox's I have....right now its a foot tall out in my garden.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    9 years ago

It has been surprisingly hard for me to establish garden phlox in my sandy soil, but I grow 'Jeana' and think it is unique and beautiful. You made a wonderful choice!

• sophies
    9 years ago

I love summer phlox and Jeana has done really well in my garden. Very hardy, makes a beautiful clump with no mildew for the 3 tears I have had her. My phlox plants look so amazing when they bloom, they fill my heart with joy.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am now very much looking forward to growing this plant.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Am looking forward to soon receiving my two 'Jeana' phlox plants from Gardenimport :)

Terrance

Original Author
    9 years ago

Terrance, you must be getting the ones that I was going to order!

• User
    9 years ago

Why is this phlox special? Having ordered several phloxy oddities already, I am in the market for more.....but only if they have mildew resistance and sturdy stems....and can cope with less than perfect soil. Pics maybe?

Original Author
    9 years ago

From what I have been told it is a bit different than many of the new fangled phlox these days as the individual flowers are smaller. Of course this may not be to your liking.

But it has excellent mildew resistance and it is outstanding in its ability to attract pollinators. In addition it has a very long bloom time (as I am finding is the case for many phlox paniculata these days)..

(If you use Google Images you can see lots of pics of "Jeana".)

• User
    9 years ago

Mmmm, very much to my liking - especially the small flowers. As a rule, P.paniculata are my least favourite types of phlox but there are some really interesting and much more garden-worthy ones appearing on the market. Having just bought 3 deep coloured, 'flowerless' (they have bracts) phlox, I am heartened that those huge unwieldy horridly pink and mildewed phlox of gruesome memories are evolving into something more in keeping with current (waterwise, spray-free) garden styles. And pretty too.

Original Author
    9 years ago

campanula, I am just curious i.e. would you think it would be easy to source Jeana in the UK?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 23:54

• BlueBirdPeony
    9 years ago

Keeping in mind that I am quite new and didn't plant any of these, I obviously don't know if any of them are Jeana. I thought you might enjoy the pictures though. If you see one that looks like Jeana, let me know!

• BlueBirdPeony
    9 years ago

Lighter pink.

• BlueBirdPeony
    9 years ago

This is my favorite, the pink and white.

This post was edited by BlueBirdPeony on Wed, May 14, 14 at 23:13

• User
    9 years ago

Quite likely not, Rouge.....but often, there is considerable international availability if a plant is either a particularly good example of a species. (Rozanne)....or if the plant represents a shift within gardening trends (such as the huge effort to promote new colour breaks in echinaceas) where hybridisers race to respond with their own productions. So yes, if Jeana was more than just another tall phlox, I would expect English growers and breeders to be right on it.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Bluebird, your favorite pink & white with the variegated foliage looks like 'Nora Leigh'. My favorite too! I've had it for year, a very vigorous cultivar with beautiful variegation, and never gets mildew. Love it!

I yahooed Phlox 'Jeana' and it looks interesting. Lots of smaller flowers. Will have to keep an eye out for this one.

Original Author
    8 years ago

UPDATE:

I planted two "Jeana" in 2014 and as far as I can tell neither survived :(....that is unusual as Phlox P. are pretty hardy souls. twrosz, have you got yours still in the garden this season?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    8 years ago

Yes, the two plants and cutting I had taken had wintered and are only now just beginning to bloom. They hadn't appreciated being transplanted and nor had they enjoyed the very dry spring and summer that has rendered the region an agricultural disaster ... so, you know what I've been doing this summer .... watering, watering, watering!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living