Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Cut Back This Aster?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 17:44

I never grew perennial asters before and I just read that you should cut them back for better growth.

I have aster x dumosus 'Prof Anton Kippenberg' starting it's second year. The plant label says it grows 12 to 15' high, but it's 24" high now. I sure hope it won't require staking. It has eight stems with what looks like flower shoots coming off the sides of the stems.

How much should I cut it back? And what good comes of cutting them back? I can see it would sacrifice flowers. What do you do with your asters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Cut Back This Aster?

I have an Aster like that. I usually cut my Asters down just about now. Those in full sun really grow too tall for the space.

o

It may depend on the hardiness zone, weather, etc. but I grow Prof. Kippenberg and never have to cut it back here. However, in your situation, I would do so.

o

In your zone you might have to. I've had my monch's in the same spot for at least seven years now. I've never cut them back or divided them, and they're lush with no staking needed year after year.

o

I'll cut them back and just call it a test. I did that with a really tall sedum called 'Black Jack' and it worked out fine.

But . . . how much do you cut them back? In half? It will set back the flowering, but I guess that's okay. Will I still get good bloom production?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here