Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I give up on my mums?

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 17:48

I am in Z5A, NW Illinois. My mums haven't come back yet with the exception of one tiny sprout. Do you think they still might?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I give up on my mums?

cant wait another week or two???

hard to give you anything definitive.. w/o being in your yard ...

stuff is way behind in adrian mi

ken

o

I usually wait awhile to decide something is dead and 90% of the time, I am rewarded for my patience. I have had a salvia greggi, that looked like a dead stump of a plant while every other plant was growing in the same bed, and resisted the urge to yank it out and now I see very small growth at the very base of it. I agree with Ken, if you don't need the space for something else, I would wait and see if it manages to push out more growth.

o

Around here at least, mums are notorious for their late start so I think it might be a bit early to say if they're dead or not. They could be, but even a small sprout can grow into something worthwhile if you give it a chance. Some of mine are up a bit, but others look totally dead until you gently scratch around the base of the plant. Look carefully for even the smallest sign of life.

With that said, I think it was a bad winter for mums. Or maybe I should said it was a bad fall for mums with the drought and all that. I should have watered more, but I didn't and that really can affect a plants ability to make it through the winter.

Kevin

o

Tried for too many years in OH, a few times here in AL. Only some yellow ones I didn't really care about came back a couple years here, then even those gave up. They won't stay alive at my Mom's house a few miles away either. The pretty purple ones rarely even adjust to being planted. Whether big "fall display" plants, or little plants in flats, bought in spring or fall...

It seems like they are always thirsty, then die of overwatering. So many other much more reliable plants... Since giving up on mums, I feel a lot better.

o

The only reason I keep trying is that a family near here has huge mounds of mums around the house foundation that come back every year and just keep getting bigger. They have had these same mums for many years.

They pinch them back until the end of June and do absolutely nothing else.

o

Those sound worth taking cuttings, if you are permitted to do so. Sounds like those old plants aren't the prima donnas they sell now, haven't had the toughness bred out of them.

Around the foundation would indicate a possible micro-climate. If they're under an eave, the added dryness may be helpful also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here