Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back sedum

Posted by dannysmommy Va (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 17:50

I have a neon pink sedum that gets very tall and flops over. I was wondering if I could cut it back, as I do mums, to prevent this. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back sedum

Yes, you can cut it, or pinch it back. I usually cut mine back when the stems are about a foot tall by half. It does work to keep them from flopping. Blooming may be delayed, but not significantly.

o

if you have more than one.. experiment ...

mine used to do that on great soil.. with lots of water.. and some little fert ...

moved out here to pure yellow mineral sand... never water [it is blistering hot for z5 and dry as the sahara ] .. never fert ... and the things grow straight up ..

this is a plant that actually does better.. the more you abuse it ... or ignore it ....

you are lovin it up too much.. lol .. and making it floppy ...

ken

o

Not only can you cut it back like you do a mum, but all of the pieces you cut off, if they're at least, say, 1.5 inches long, will root easily in moist, well-drained soil, so you can make LOTS of baby sedums this way.

I found this out once by accident when I trimmed a couple of mine and neglected to pick up the trimmings. Went back a week later, after a warm, rainly spell, and most of them were rooting into the moist, fluffy mulch. So, I planted them and made a big row of about 50 sedums in my vegetable garden.

o

My rule of thumb here in Ontario is to cut it back to about half size by Father's Day.

o

Thank you all! I'm gonna hack it back, and make some sedum babies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here