Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Russian Sage, can I cut it back

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 17:54

About two weeks ago I was told I could cut my Russian Sage back to help control the over all size and that it would still bloom for me but a little bit later. Do I still have time to do it and still have the blooms?

Thanks Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Russian Sage, can I cut it back

I think so. I am in zone 6 and I just did mine.

o

How far did you cut yours back? Mine at at 28 inches right now and I was thinking about cutting them to about 16 to 18 inches. Does that sound like to much or should I cut them back even more?

o

I think I cut mine to about 12" but I think it's a matter of preference and knowing the specific plant. I'm honestly not sure how tall, I just guessed. Why 12"? You're going to be impressed by my expertise here... If it works out well and they don't flop, I will hopefully be able to remember for the future 12" on Memorial Day. LOL

o

I never prune these in the fall, but I wait until they start to show growth in the spring. I've tried cutting them tall but I find they perform better for me and look better if I cut them down to just above the lower growth. They are off to a great start this year. I just moved them from part sun to full sun and I've never seen them look better.

o

Prairiemoon, I always cut mine back in the spring too. Which I did already. I have now cut them a second time.
I started trimming the when I decided to take photos. So only one of the bushes has been trimmed in the first photo.
RS before total trim 5.31.09

After finishing with all three bushes.

RS after the cut 5.31.09

I am hoping to get blooms and keep them at a mere 3 feet or so. Instead of 4 plus feet.
They are looking pretty good right now. Will post photos if they bloom or will post that they did not bloom after the 2nd cut.

Stephanie

o

This is what I have noticed for the past 3 years. The russian sage plants at Bunker Hill Rd, Algonquin always gets cut to the ground. However, they cut it around late fall/early winter when the leaves are all dead.

I saw it 2 days ago and the height now is 14 inches tall. I'll take pictures of it.

o

My camera is not working right now but mine are shorter than those in your photo. Yours are looking very healthy and happy! :-)

o

stephanie_kay, i saw that you took out the little sprouts that had popped up alongside the main plant. i have those also. do you know (or anyone else!) if i can pick those out and then make them into their own plant?

o

Every fall or winter, we cut ours to about 6-12". They then grow to about 4-5', including flower spikes.

This year, I dug up some little, and not so little, sprouts - deep roots - and potted them up. I can't yet tell if they'll make it.

o

Nicoles,
I planted up three last year in quart size pots and grew them till Oct. I gave two away the third guy did not make it. They got thirsty easily so just make sure you give them plenty of water and I had them where they got afternoon shade. They both came back this year for their new owners.

Stephanie

o

I cut mine back twice. I cut almost to the ground in very early spring and again halfway about now to keep them more compact and less sprawling.

o

Buyorsell888,
That is about what I did this year. I am glad to hear from you that you did it that way. The only thing being is that with me being in zone 5, I have a shorter growing season then you. I guess the worse would be that I would have a shorter bloom time then you.

o

I'm in 8 but we have a very short summer, you probably have more sun than I do. Two thirds of our year here is cloudy and gray.

I bet your Perovskias will be just fine.

o

Do you think folks the russian sage I grew from seed will flower this year? I'm thinking it might because the russian sage always flower from new stems. What do you think?

o

Yes I think they will bloom for you this year. Maybe not be much of a show if they are very small but you should get something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here