Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Maintenance Perennials

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 17:56

I just read the thread on dealing with borders as we age. It's a great one, if you haven't read it. As I read, I kept asking myself, how does one define a "low maintenace" plant? And, wouldn't we love to have a list of them? Granted, this may vary some from region to region, but still, it would give us all a great place to start.

For me, a low maintenance plant is one that, once it has been planted in well amended soil and watered enough to settle in, requires little or no pruning, fertilizing, DIVIDING, or deadheading in order to look its best. Looking its best for the entire growing season is good, all four seasons is GREAT.

Here are my top five easiest plants to maintain in my southeastern heat and humidity:

Weigelas

Roses (the modern kinds and some antiques. Prune once a year and deadhead if you feel like it.)

Amsonia taberaemontana

Nandina domestica: four season star: Sun, shade, moist, dry. They always look great with virtually no care at all.

Crinums: Southern bulbs, many of which bloom repeatedly from mid summer to fall. They actually dislike division!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Maintenance Perennials

You've set the bar pretty high, Donna. Here's my list....

Asarum europaeum
Astilbe if you have enough moisture
Baptisia australis
Dicentra spectabalis
**Epimediums
Hellebores
Hostas if you don't have snails
Japanese Painted Ferns
Pennisetum 'Hamelin'
Penstemon 'Pike's Peak Purple'
Phlox divaricata
Sedum Autumn Joy

Buddleia
Hydrangea

o

Oriental poppies, Siberian Iris, Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', hardy geraniums that don't self-sow, Rodgersia, calla lilies, daylilies, Crocosmia 'Solfaterre', Dierama, peonies, Coreopsis 'Moonbeam', Iberis sempervirens, hardy cyclamen, Eryngium amethystinum, Brunnera, Pulmonaria, Anemone nemerosa, Kniphofia, Phlomis fruticosa, sage, Artemisia abronatum, Hellebore, Chaerophyllum 'Roseum', any fern besides ostrich and lady ferns, most sedges. All of these go on 10 years or more for me with little care besides a bit of water in droughty times and clean up after bloom. None of them spreads or self sows too much, either.

o

Low maintenance perennials for me (all deer-resistant):

Baptisia (if you give them enough room)
Carex 'Evergold'
Cerastostigma willmottianum 'Palmgold'
Chrysanthemum 'Snow Dome'
Crocosmia 'Jenny Bloom'
Delosperma 'Kelaidis'
Dryopteris x australis
Geranium macrorrhizum 'Bevan's Variety'
Lantana camara 'Miss Huff'
Oreganum compactum 'Nana'
Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Longin'
Phlox divaricata 'Montrose Tricolor'
Salvia greggii
Saxifraga stolonifera 'Maroon Beauty'
Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues'
Vernonia lettermanii 'Iron Butterfly'

In deer-free areas, I would also add:

Diclipteria suberecta
Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

And a few woodies:

Edgeworthia chrysantha
Fothergilla 'Mt Airy'
Spirea 'Ogon'

o

Echinacea "Pixie Meadowbrite"

o

It is very impressive that the list of low maintenance is much longer than the list of high maintenance plants :)

My favorite:
Peonies (all kinds)
Clematis (all pruning types, but type III especially)
Lilies
Hellebores

Not perennials, but the original poster mentioned shrubs:

Spirea. I have Lemon Princess and Spiraea japonica 'Golden Elf'. Both are maintenance free and look fantastic all the time.

All Weigela with dark foliage. Variegated varieties are quite finicky.

o

One immediately comes to mind, Echinacea Purple Coneflower! I never touch it...EVER! Others:

Hostas
Peonies
Shasta Daisy
Penstemon
Hydrangea Annabell

Cheers,
Mel

o

Here are my favorite, little or no maintenance perennials:
Butterfly Bushes
Asclepias
Echinacea
May Night Salvia
Shasta Daisy Becky and Silver Princess
Campanula Bernice
Dwarf Delphiniums
Dwarf Lupines
Scabiosa
Painted Daisy
Dianthis
Stokesia
Non-Seeding Cranesbill - Jolly Bee is wonderful
Pulmonaria
Larger leaved Coreopsis

Depending on how much you want to do to them, many will rebloom again and again until frost with dead heading and a little fertilizer.

Linda

o

This is a great thread! My favorites:
Rudbeckia- all types, Shasta daisies, Catmint, Oregano, Sage & Salvia, Butterfly bushes and weed, clematis, spiderwort (very hardy!), gaillardia (blanket flower), lantana, lilies and daylilies, yarrow (achillea), aster, gardenias, veronica, camellia, some roses, star hibiscus, beauty berry (calicarpa), rosemary, and hollies. Quite a mix! I hope some of these will spur some new ideas and plans for enlarging or creating gardens. Brandyray

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 10 at 13:54

Dandelions, wild strawberry, wild honeysuckle, Sweet Autumn Clematis and too many more to name. I do nothing to encourage them and yet every year they show up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here