Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Low Maintenance Perennials

Donna
13 years ago

I just read the thread on dealing with borders as we age. It's a great one, if you haven't read it. As I read, I kept asking myself, how does one define a "low maintenace" plant? And, wouldn't we love to have a list of them? Granted, this may vary some from region to region, but still, it would give us all a great place to start.

For me, a low maintenance plant is one that, once it has been planted in well amended soil and watered enough to settle in, requires little or no pruning, fertilizing, DIVIDING, or deadheading in order to look its best. Looking its best for the entire growing season is good, all four seasons is GREAT.

Here are my top five easiest plants to maintain in my southeastern heat and humidity:

Weigelas

Roses (the modern kinds and some antiques. Prune once a year and deadhead if you feel like it.)

Amsonia taberaemontana

Nandina domestica: four season star: Sun, shade, moist, dry. They always look great with virtually no care at all.

Crinums: Southern bulbs, many of which bloom repeatedly from mid summer to fall. They actually dislike division!

Comments (9)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

You've set the bar pretty high, Donna. Here's my list....

Asarum europaeum
    Astilbe if you have enough moisture
    Baptisia australis
    Dicentra spectabalis
    **Epimediums
    Hellebores
    Hostas if you don't have snails
    Japanese Painted Ferns
    Pennisetum 'Hamelin'
    Penstemon 'Pike's Peak Purple'
    Phlox divaricata
    Sedum Autumn Joy

Buddleia
    Hydrangea

• brody
    13 years ago

Oriental poppies, Siberian Iris, Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', hardy geraniums that don't self-sow, Rodgersia, calla lilies, daylilies, Crocosmia 'Solfaterre', Dierama, peonies, Coreopsis 'Moonbeam', Iberis sempervirens, hardy cyclamen, Eryngium amethystinum, Brunnera, Pulmonaria, Anemone nemerosa, Kniphofia, Phlomis fruticosa, sage, Artemisia abronatum, Hellebore, Chaerophyllum 'Roseum', any fern besides ostrich and lady ferns, most sedges. All of these go on 10 years or more for me with little care besides a bit of water in droughty times and clean up after bloom. None of them spreads or self sows too much, either.

• spazzycat_1
    13 years ago

Low maintenance perennials for me (all deer-resistant):

Baptisia (if you give them enough room)
    Carex 'Evergold'
    Cerastostigma willmottianum 'Palmgold'
    Chrysanthemum 'Snow Dome'
    Crocosmia 'Jenny Bloom'
    Delosperma 'Kelaidis'
    Dryopteris x australis
    Geranium macrorrhizum 'Bevan's Variety'
    Lantana camara 'Miss Huff'
    Oreganum compactum 'Nana'
    Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Longin'
    Phlox divaricata 'Montrose Tricolor'
    Salvia greggii
    Saxifraga stolonifera 'Maroon Beauty'
    Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues'
    Vernonia lettermanii 'Iron Butterfly'

In deer-free areas, I would also add:

Diclipteria suberecta
    Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

And a few woodies:

Edgeworthia chrysantha
    Fothergilla 'Mt Airy'
    Spirea 'Ogon'

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

Echinacea "Pixie Meadowbrite"

• alina_1
    13 years ago

It is very impressive that the list of low maintenance is much longer than the list of high maintenance plants :)

My favorite:
    Peonies (all kinds)
    Clematis (all pruning types, but type III especially)
    Lilies
    Hellebores

Not perennials, but the original poster mentioned shrubs:

Spirea. I have Lemon Princess and Spiraea japonica 'Golden Elf'. Both are maintenance free and look fantastic all the time.

All Weigela with dark foliage. Variegated varieties are quite finicky.

• melaroma
    13 years ago

One immediately comes to mind, Echinacea Purple Coneflower! I never touch it...EVER! Others:

Hostas
    Peonies
    Shasta Daisy
    Penstemon
    Hydrangea Annabell

Cheers,
    Mel

• linlily
    13 years ago

Here are my favorite, little or no maintenance perennials:
    Butterfly Bushes
    Asclepias
    Echinacea
    May Night Salvia
    Shasta Daisy Becky and Silver Princess
    Campanula Bernice
    Dwarf Delphiniums
    Dwarf Lupines
    Scabiosa
    Painted Daisy
    Dianthis
    Stokesia
    Non-Seeding Cranesbill - Jolly Bee is wonderful
    Pulmonaria
    Larger leaved Coreopsis

Depending on how much you want to do to them, many will rebloom again and again until frost with dead heading and a little fertilizer.

Linda

• brandyray
    13 years ago

This is a great thread! My favorites:
    Rudbeckia- all types, Shasta daisies, Catmint, Oregano, Sage & Salvia, Butterfly bushes and weed, clematis, spiderwort (very hardy!), gaillardia (blanket flower), lantana, lilies and daylilies, yarrow (achillea), aster, gardenias, veronica, camellia, some roses, star hibiscus, beauty berry (calicarpa), rosemary, and hollies. Quite a mix! I hope some of these will spur some new ideas and plans for enlarging or creating gardens. Brandyray

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Dandelions, wild strawberry, wild honeysuckle, Sweet Autumn Clematis and too many more to name. I do nothing to encourage them and yet every year they show up.