Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie60004

Please help!

annie60004
9 years ago

So I have planted a bunch of things in a flowerbed along my sidewalk and driveway. I guess I am not sure if what I have planted is getting enough sun/too much sun. The area is east facing so received morning sun. The very back of the bed starts to be in shadow by about one o'clock. The rest is in the shadow of the house by 230. I am not sure what I should be planting there. I have lavender, shasta daisies, tritelia, columbines. I also have daylilies along the sidewalk. Everything is alive, but doesn't seem to be growing. The daylilies are getting blooms but the leaves seem sparse. Everything else just seems to be surviving not thriving. Please help me figure out what to do.

Comments (6)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Lavender and Shasta daisies generally do best in full sun in my Z6a garden. Columbine does well in part sun, part shade and full shade while daylilies thrive in part or full sun. I'm unfamiliar with tritelia.

My first question would be how long have these plants been growing in your garden bed? Were they planted recently? My garden is gradually maturing season after season and I like it more as the years pass. If gardening has a lesson to teach, it's patience.

Is your soil healthy? Did you work organic matter/compost into the soil prior to planting?

Another question is if the plants were purchased from a nursery, did you tease the roots loose prior to planting them? It's important to loosen the roots since they're generally growing in circles inside the pots. The roots will continue growing in that pattern unless loosened.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Are these plants newly planted? If not, how did they do last season?

Have you had your soil tested?

Also, with the amount of cold that the Great Lakes experienced this winter, you may still be a bit colder than usual at this time of year, and your plants may still be in early spring mode.

• gringo
    9 years ago

Spend lots of money on large plants growing in large pots, in full bloom, at the local nursery. Then you won't have to wait years for your lavender to get large, or wait until next summer, before your daisies begin to flower & your daylilies won't have sparse leaves.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Lol gringo

You could do as gringo says or just learn to be patient. It take 3 years for your plants to be at their best. As each year passes they.....Sleep, Creep, then leap.

It's usually well worth the wait ;)

• gringo
    9 years ago

lilsprout, you got my quirky sense of humor. Most people aren't familiar with the endlessly repeated adage of "3 years..
    But I should have answered the question, which isn't as simple as, is it enough sun?... For your columbine, just fine, & having a preference for moist soil. While the daylily in bloom, likely gets enough sun, if it's until 2:30.

Whereas, I'm not even familiar what zone ne Ohio is & can say if your lavender can survive winter. Some may make it with protection, to zone 5? possibly with protection & well drained soil & if it's a hybrid...That can be a really tough question, as its a matter of plant hardiness & your zone & how much winter protection & if the soil drains well enough in winter & things to do, such as that, but does prefer full sun exposure & not severe exposure to elements of winter.

Shasta daisies can be an odd lot, depending on if its a newer hybrid, or just regular old ordinary, tried & true, 'Alaska'. Others can be picky about too much or not enough water in summer & soil , not only grown in, but planted into & I've seen some thrive in afternoon sun, where other cultivars may just melt, in the same conditions... & some drought tolerant in hot afternoon sun & others constantly thirsty, with afternoon shade!

Try giving your daylily some fertilizer and make sure it gets adequate water, afterwards.. If it still looks sparse, then maybe try another more vigorous one. There are thousands to chose from, just like Hosta selections.
    Some daylilies entirely lose leaves in winter and others may have a few short ones, waiting for spring to arrive (at least down here where I'm at, in zone 7/8) & with the past winter, the ice age, from... I'd better not say!

hth you decide about what to expect, & when planning & planting in the future.

• vera_eastern_wa
    9 years ago

Full sun plants only require a min. of 6-8 hours of direct sunlight. I had Lavender, Blue Flax, perennial Foxglove, perennial Snaps, Dianthus, Thymus serpyllum, Daylily, Chives, Daffodil, Sedums, etc., that did great beneath a Cherry tree. They received sun from a.m. through about 2-2:30 pm and then filtered light to med. shade. This bed never got any amendments except leaf fall....soil was mostly sandy/gravelly and infertile towards the perimeter, which for the most part fit about everything planted here.

{{gwi:227093}}

{{gwi:227094}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus