Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dianthus pinks self-seed?

Posted by nuggetandnibbles 7/VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 18:16

I've planted 3 dianthus pinks by my mailbox. Sorry, I don't know the cultivar - I bought them at our local high school tech center's spring sale. They are short like 'firewitch.' Do dianthus pinks self-seed like my rudbeckia? It would be great if they did! I've read that I should remove spent flowers to promote continued bloom but if they self-seed I'll sacrifice continued bloom for more flowers next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dianthus pinks self-seed?

My current variety, a low-growing variety called Greystone, hasn't self-seeded. They have spread by stems rooting. I did have a plant for a while with tiny very bright pink flowers that did self-seed everywhere if I didn't deadhead, so I think it depends on the type you have.

o

I grew all my own plants--I have at least a half dozen clumps growing in various beds--from seed. This is their 3rd or 4th year and I haven't noticed that any of them self-seed. Off the top of my head the cultivar names escape me but they were all grown from fairly common Burpee seeds.

o

Thank you - it looks like I'll be dead-heading then!

o

Well, to be contrarian I will chime in to say that my dianthus definitely self-seed. I've lost track of which ones have popped up for me, but many different types have done so. We have pea gravel pathways which are the ideal medium for volunteer plants (and weeds), so maybe that's why I have lots of them appearing.

o

Mine self seed too, in fact I just took a picture yesterday. I think it's firewitch to the left and then a clump of seedlings to the right, you can see they vary a bit. These were the ones I didn't smother in the mulch this spring, before the new mulch went down this was a hot dry spot that apparently the seeds like (almost gravelly).

o

Newbie question: if I deadhead these, will they bloom again? Any luck with that yourselves? Thanks!!

o

kato,

I have firewitch before for 2 yrs then last year, it didn't show up. Today, it's there again. :)

By the way, firewitch plants have a very strong sweet scent! Are you aware of that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here