Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your thoughts on Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame'

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:52

I just picked up a plant of this yesterday, I think it will be borderline iffy here. Should I plant it in a container so I can move it into a cool greenhouse for the winter or I could plant it in my garden room ( lattice walls, fibreglass roof). I have successfully grown Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata' here even when the temps have dipped below zero F. without any damage to it.

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your thoughts on Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame'

In my zone, this is being touted as the new must have plant, but it is an annual here. At $8 a plant, it is a very expensive annual, but I did buy one to try. I won't be bringing it in over the winter, because I have zero luck doing that.

o

Diggingdirt, oh really? Which nurseries have them? I was keeping my eyes peeled for them at Groffs Plant Farm and did not see any.
In any case at least based on pictures, I think the old plain foxglove hybrid 'Spice Island' was a better looking plant. It might be interesting to try but I think the Isoplexis would probably dominate viz-a-viz the performance of the plant and thus I would expect it to hate both eastern summers and winters. A lot of Macaronesian flora is suspectible to rotting in summer in the Eastern US climate, in my experience. I've tried Canary Echiums in pots a couple times and they invariably die after a muggy summer thunderstorm.

o

I am not terribly impressed (my daughter grew Illumination pink) - a tiny little thing....but then I often think bi-generic hybrids can be a bit dodgy. If you are keen on the colouring, you could do worse than sow seeds of the Polkadot digitalis (Goldcrest, Polly, Pippa et al.) They are also sterile (therefore long blooming, reliably perennial and hardy to Z5 at least. I have also tried isoplexis (it died) but this hybrid is more hardy (although we had a mild winter)

o

Thanks, I'll see how it goes, I think I'll pot it up in a tub, then I can move it into the greenhouse for the winter. If it survives I'll plant it in my garden room next spring.

Annette

o

"but then I often think bi-generic hybrids can be a bit dodgy"
Agreed, sometimes the genetic complementarity just isn't there.

o

David, I just bought one at Groff's on Thursday. I had to ask for it, and it was way back in a corner to the left of the annual greenhouses. They were not promoting it like two other greenhouses were. But it was half the price of the one I bought at Henry's Greenhouse in Holtwood.

o

diggingdirt...thanks, with my luck I will go back and it will be sold out haha.
You really wonder if the wholesalers even bothered testing these things in the eastern US climate, even as annuals. But they micropropagate millions of them and they know if it doesn't perform satisfactorily, it still takes a couple seasons for punters to give up and stop buying them. But Groff's prices are so reasonable I might go up there and grab one.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 10:49

It went through two ferocious heat waves here in full sun (dawn to 5 pm) without a bit of damage. It didn't even droop. I was amazed. I too wonder if it will be an expensive annual. Anyone remember Coreopsis 'Sweet Dreams'?

o

" I too wonder if it will be an expensive annual. "
No I suspect they will be fine in southern California as long as they have water whenever it turns out that they want water. Isoplexis is used to dry, albeit foggy summers...think Bay Area or even Santa Barbara, but not interior southern California.

Well, I got a couple last month...at $5 a pop versus the $15 Park Seed wanted and the $20 that Wayside wanted, it seemed like a "no brainer". Trying them in 2 slightly different exposures to get a feel for their possible tolerance of conditions here. Still worried they are at best going to be shy bloomers, at worse not tolerate our mugginess and go into decline, and/or not survive winters here. (which have averaged to zone 8, even including last year)
Can't believe how popular they are though, with American catalog retailers all selling out. Presumably even Groff's has sold out now. The buzz _here_ doesn't seem like it would have warranted that...I can only guess gardeners are seeing their pictures on facebook or something, or have heard about it being a "plant of the year": http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/foxglove-illumination/p92671TM "Oy, punters, you can have the excitement of the Chelsea Flower Show right in your own garden!" I can just hear Burt Large saying that.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/foxglove-illumination/p92671TM

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 5:58

o

Mine have been planted for a month and have not done much of anything other than to put on a little more green. The way they were being promoted, I expected flowers by this time. I'm beginning to suspect that it's going to behave like a perennial as far as bloom period is concerned, but behave as an annual as far as surviving the winter is concerned. Unless it has amazing flowers like Lloyd at Peace Tree Farm in Bucks County promised, I won't repeat this next year.

David, I notice you list zone 7 for yourself, yet shop at Groff's. So I guess you're not in Lancaster County?

o

Shortly after I planted mine in a tub (May 24) it sent up a flower spike. This picture was taken today, The next pic is a closeup of the flower spike. Annette

o

Closeup of the flower spike.

o

Thanks Annette. I'm hoping that the fact you are in zone 8 is the reason yours put up a spike and mine didn't.

o

What a coincidence as I bought the same one this past weekend. Of course it is definitely an annual here in my neck of the woods. According to this independent nursery it has been flying off the shelf. I guess as digginginthedirt had written, it does seem to be the must have new (annual) this season.

o

Actually, the powers that be now say I'm in Zone 7, a or b ? I haven't figured it out yet LOL.

Annette

o

Diggingdirt...I am roughly 1 mile from the upper Chesapeake Bay, so my climate is definitely zn 7. (low of 3F this winter, albeit 3 times which was the real killer)
So, Groff's is not a bad drive. And there's no one to match them as a place to buy reasonably priced perennials and annuals that I know of. Not even close. The old Styer's was great but even it didn't have the selection, how could they? Groffs is huge. I've heard of some big place down in Sussex Co. Delaware, I forget the name now, but I've never ventured down there to find out.
BTW I have relatives in Bucks Co. so I'm anxious to try this "Peace Tree Farm" which I've never heard of. I did finally go to Hortulus last year, not a place I'd shop as they focus on preplanted potted gardens and greenhouse plants, but quite amazing. I had no idea it was so big, they must have spent a fortune on it. EDIT: Oh, I see they are wholesalers. Anyhow, interesting to know they were promoting the plant, too. There are actually quite a lot of interesting under-the-radar wholesalers in NJ, PA, & probably DE...you find out about them on a need to know basis LOL. For example you'd never guess but I met a woman in NJ who's company supposedly has a lot of Worsleyas, but according to someone else I met at that party, mostly sells them wholesale? To whom I wonder? Maybe to Hortulus to put in $500 verdigris-finish planters.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 17:22

o

David, my garden club took a field trip to Peace Tree Farm, which was the only way a lay person can get in. It was absolutely fascinating if you can find a group to visit.

Yes, Groff's is amazing, and I discovered it on the Pennsylvania forum many years ago. Surprisingly, no one in my part of the county has ever heard of it. When I asked Groff's about it, they told me that people from north of Lancaster feel like they are falling off the edge of the earth when they drive there. I had to laugh, because that's exactly how I feel every time I visit. But there's no other place like it!

o

Thanks for the tip. I hope you've been to Rarefind at some point? Also Tripleoaks in NJ has an interesting display garden for trees & shrubs, especially. Did you get to visit Asiatica before it closed?
Funny what you say about people's mentalities...I think the same thing is true here. I once told a local lady I sometimes drove to the Concord Mall north of Wilmington instead of just going to the Christiana Mall (which is still a hike from here) and she was like "really, you drive all the way up there? What have they got up there?" It was like I'd told her I go to NYC to buy clothes or something. In reality it's only 20 minute longer drive. And actually the difference isn't the mall per se, but what is around them. Much more interesting shops along the Concord Pike area like Trader Joe's (and at the very end of it, the old Styers, before 2008)

o

I was resisting this plant for some reason - regular digitalis is a weed around here - but then I saw it in bloom and knew I had to have one for the hummers! Mine has three flower spikes on it and looks like more to come and is in full sun and has that smoky coral/pink/orange color that the garden mags portray. Was rather pricey (even with my discount) for a so-called 'seasonal' plant but the most amazing things winter over in my very mild coastal garden so I am keeping my fingers crossed :-)

o

Mine in the picture above is slightly shaded under a fibreglass roof in my garden room, it's a dull day today so I think I'll move it out where it will get more sun and see if it makes a difference to the color.

Annette

o

Well, both of mine are still just "sitting" there. Here it is the middle of July and nothing that looks even close to a spike. At this point, I've written them off as a waste of money. So disappointed.

o

Diggingin did yours ever flower?
The one I put in the ground did, the one I left in a pot for next year (in case the outside one doesn't make it) did not flower.
Overall at least in terms of tolerating our summer conditions, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. For a plant that is 1/2 Canarian and not likely to enjoy humidity. Now the test will be the winter. BTW the flower spike lasted longer than a typical digitalis spike would have and has been going for well over a month.

o

I have had mine in a planter for 2 months and I am very underwhelmed. It appears to be healthy and it blooms but nothing special in terms of quantity and colour. There are so many choices for annuals that are much superior.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 7:52

o

So far so good with mine I'm quite liking it, I moved it out from undercover into a sunnier spot. Once the flower spike had passed it's best I cut it off and 4 more smaller spikes appeared, they're still blooming but have seen better days. Now to see if it will winter for me, it's in a container so I can move it into my cool greenhouse for the winter if needed, just enough heat in there to keep it above freezing.

Annette

o

No, David, mine never flowered! Never did I imagine that a plant with this hype would have just sat in the ground and done...absolutely nothing! It's the end of August, so I've given up hope. No flower spikes!!! How can that be?? I am very annoyed. And since it was sold to me as an annual, I don't expect anything from it next year. This is a total waste!

It also makes me very cautious about buying promoted plants at the same establishment next year. I'll need to be more cautious.

o

Maybe I spoke (wrote) too soon. I just went outside to check my plants again, and a miracle has occurred! One of my plants has three spikes starting. It had nothing on Wednesday, and we were gone Thursday and Friday. The spikes don't appear to be heavily budded, but we'll see.

The other plant still looks the same. I'm still not impressed with this plant at all.

o

Thanks for the follow ups. Am I "impressed" with it? Well it's more interesting looking than the wild Digitalis purpurea that seed around in another part of my garden, both because the flower is more attractive and the foliage doesn't get whatever black mold hits the wild ones. (probably just a function of a more open site) Do I think it's the prettiest plant in the garden? No. It is what it is...I'm still glad I bought it, especially at the $5 Groff's was charging. I would be underwhelmed if I'd paid $20 for it, which is what some mail order nurseries were charging.

o

Btw if the hybrid from about 10 years ago 'Spice Island' were still available in the US, it would definitely be showier, and likely a hardier performer in the garden. It was also very long blooming and never appeared to make viable seed for me. Come on wholesalers...get your act together! It's still marketed in the UK!

o

I was very disappointed in this plant. It turned black and died after flowering. I don't think it liked the heat and humidity. It is all hype.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here