Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Any thoughts regarding Geranium x oxonianum forms?

Since the Geranium forum is all but defunct I thought I would start a discussion here. Anyone here know or grow any of the various forms of Geranium x oxonianum? CMK shared her experiences with 'Southcombe Double' in another thread, and it inspired me to start this new one!

I grow 'A.T. Johnson', 'Rebecca Moss' and 'Wageningen', and I just recently added a single plant of 'Summer Surprise'. With the exception of 'Summer Surprise', which is too new to evaluate, they have been reliable performers for me. They will bloom all season, can be cut back if needed and are extremely easy to divide with fine fibrous roots (nothing like the woody taproots of other types). They are excellent filler plants and just seem to "do" when nothing else really will. So far, I have not found any seedlings from these. Keep in mind that my gardening style is quite informal so I don't mind a little ranginess, but imagine some people could find them a bit "messy" by the end of summer if not cut back. But for wildflowery, truly old-fashioned charm, these cannot be beat!

I just looked over the updated 2012 Hardy Geranium Trial results from the Chicago Botanic Garden. None of the oxonianum geraniums received a 4-star rating (excellent) but several achieved a 3-star (good) rating:

'A.T. Johnson'
'Lady Moore'
'Rebecca Moss'
'Southcombe Star'
'Sherwood'
'Summer Surprise'

One of my personal favorites, 'Wageningen', never completed the trial because the plants were stolen (!).

I can't be the only one interested in these plants, right? Come on...start talking! :-)

This post was edited by ispahan on Thu, May 15, 14 at 19:04

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz