Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Primrose Problem

kentstar
10 years ago

I was given a couple of "Supernova Primroses" for my birthday. I've never grown these yet. I planted them in a couple of my raised beds out front (west side of house). The bed gets afternoon sun from about 1 pm till dusk. Now, some of the leaves look like they are yellowing. Am I watering too much? Not enough nitrogen? I did put down Osmocote this spring. How do I care for these? Maybe my soil is too dry? I do try to keep the beds watered a couple times a week with the hose (spring here has been dry so far) Maybe too much sun?

I have no clue when it comes to primroses lol!

Comments (11)

• mistascott
    10 years ago

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but I know they hate afternoon sun and heat and as a result they have trouble surviving U.S. summers. I would get them in the shade and keep them well-watered and see if you can get them through the summer. It is an uphill battle -- many treat them as cool-season annuals.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

This is my first year with a Supernova. However, my other primroses died out last year in late spring or early summer, and two (out of four to six) came back this spring. My understanding is that they only like spring. They might come back for you. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey kent ...

no luck with primrose... in my z5 ... most dying in summer ...

i would consider them... annuals ...

enjoy them for what they are.. at best a very short lived perennial ...

my experience was pre-WWWeb days ... and anything foo foo.. just died.. and after trying a dozen times or so.. i just gave up ... [one might wonder why it took 12 tries.. lol]

ken

• kentstar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, at least I didn't spend any money on them as they were a gift :) I'll do what I can, but I will treat them as an annual.

Thanks!

10 years ago

and by treating them as an annual .. all i mean.. is dont be heartbroken should they fail ....

with the web.. one would think you can find out how to make them thrive ...

and every time you look at them.. you can say.. there's one ken cant grow.. lol ... gotta have a goal ...

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I've done OK with a couple of types of primroses on the east side of buildings where they get 3 or 4 hours of morning sunlight. These plants are 4 or 5 years old.

10 years ago

babs ... what is your soil... i often wondered if my soil was too good.. and it was a root rot issue with ground freeze and all ...

in other words.. for the same reason i couldnt grow lavender.. the soil stayed too damp into late fall .. early winter ....

ken

• User
    10 years ago

I have never been able to provide the cool, damp yet free-draining soil which primulas love.....until now. Have made do with auriculas (and now have far too many) and cowslips. Gearing up for a massive seed collecting and sowing orgy of primrose collecting (and may even have to BUY a few plants, yikes) ......bulleyana, beesianum, sieboldii, secundiflora, japonica......OMG, a woodland!

10 years ago

there is your key kent:

never been able to provide the cool, damp yet free-draining soil which primulas love

and cool is the key word in my estimate ...

good luck

ken

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

nhbabs, those look very happy. Your primroses are Primula denticulata, a definite hardy perennial, which enjoys slightly different conditions to the hybrids of P vulgaris including tolerance of acidity and colder winters.

I had a quick look for 'Supernova' and they appear to be Polyanthus-type Primulas which are early spring bloomers even here and are going over by May. The site I found classified them culturally as annuals.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that, Flora. I probably should have actually looked to see exactly what Kent had.

Ken, my soil in most of my beds is well aged manure spread on top of my native acid fine sandy loam. It makes the perfect moist, well-drained beds. I mulch with hardwood shavings.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living