Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or not weed?

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 19:41

These are in a bit of a weird spot...in the middle of the ground cover. I'm not sure what they are? If they are something beautiful, I will leave them. If they are ordinary, I may want to relocate them. Or just get rid of them entirely.
Help? What are they? Can I trim them way back after they flower? Will they return?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or not weed?

weed - a plant that grew on a wrong location.

o

"If they are something beautiful, I will leave them."

Do you think they are beautiful?
That's all that matters.

o

Hard to tell... a close-up of the flower might help. My first guess would be Knautia or Cephalaria.

o

Guys, I know the definition of a weed, thanks. My question was more about whether it jumped out at anyone as known, common type of weed. And also what the plant was, whether it would be able to be transplanted, whether it would survive being cut back, etc.
Cool plants guy, I'm having a hard time getting a closer up shot because I would have to stand on the ground cover to get in closer. Maybe I'll risk it though! I googled your suggestions and, unfortunately, I dont think it looks like either. So far it looks like the center of a cone flower or daisy without any petals. Also the centers are pink. It's far too early in my zone for either.
I'lltry for another picture tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestions and stay tuned!

o

coolplantsguy's suggestions certainly seem likely to me judging by the foliage and the flower buds. Scabiosa is another candidate genus of that ilk.

o

when something pops up... unexpectedly ... your first question to yourself.. is NOT what is it ...

the question is.. how many more will pop up.. IF I ENCOURAGE IT ...

in our learning curve.. we all started here.. and years later.. came to learn.. free is not always good ... lol

lets see.. in my life.. i once.. just once.. encouraged a thistle ... laitris ... violets ... spiderwort ... etc.. all became horrible invasive weeds.. that took me years to eradicate ... oh.. add bishops weed to my list ...

so as time rolls by.. if i do NOT specifically buy it.. or get it from an experienced friend .... i kill it ... as its of no value to me ... and that is a secondary definition of a weed ....

ken

BTW... so i dont have to find your other post.. many good nurseries.. have a recycle bin.. might be a great place to find some FREE pots ... to grow things in.. until the bargains roll around in fall

o

Here is a close up, finally. It has changed drastically in the last 24 hours. Now it's looking a lot more like a chrysanthemum to me?? Multiple flowers on the same stalk. Interesting color.

o

yep, definately scabious. Maybe columbaria or whatever the US equivalent is.

o

Hi, campanula. Yes, Scabious is Columbaria. I'm not sure yet if this is that or not. It certainly looks like the center, but the petals are not there yet. Will report back in a few days.

o

You might want to post a pic of the groundcover too, I suspect the scabious wasn't planted in that weird of a spot, I think the ground cover invaded where the scabious was growing and you might want to be more concerned about the groundcover becoming a weed.

o

Scabiosa guys, not Scabious. Scabious actually means "having scabs or scabies", haha.

o

Scabiosa genus, yes, but the common name is Scabious. e.g. Scabiosa columbaria = Small Scabious

o

I have a purple version. They really are pretty. Personally, I would leave them. :):)

o

Wow flora, I've never heard that common name - how weird. I've tried some Scabiosa and it's pretty but S. columbaria rarely made it through the winter, and S. ochroleuca was a bit more perennial but never thrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here