Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Do you have any of these Polygonatum in your garden?

I know these varieties may be somewhat rare but given the plant collectors that frequent this forum I thought that a plant or two of those listed below might be in one of your gardens!

- "Kon Chiri Shima"

- "Fireworks"

- "falcatum" [Silver Striped Selection]

- geminiflorum

If none, what is your favourite Polygonatum?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 9:02

Comments (41)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Are any of these available in the US or Canada? Though they look lovely, I can only find references to Japanese nurseries.

I grow Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum' which is lovely with its cream colored stripes. I also have the native Polygonatum biflorum. I like them both, and though P. biflorum is smaller and just green, it is a delicate plant with a nice shade of blue-green. I don't have a spot where one can view them from below so I grow them as foliage plants since the flowers aren't really visible from above.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

I have mostly the common green stuff that is quite large. I think it's likely Polygonatum commutatum. I have one little bit of variegated stuff but it's wimpy compared to the regular stuff and I don't like it!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Ah Doug, you touch on a genus that is one of my favorites yet again, lol.

I don't have any of those listed. I have the large Polygonatum (biflorum I would imagine), humile, x 'Striatum' (aka 'Grace Baker' I think??), and the old odoratum 'Variegatum'.

I have a few on my "wants" list, like hookeri, Silver Striped Selection, 'Green Hankies', 'Byakko', 'Betberg', and maybe kingianum. I was thinking about that 'Fireworks', but I'm not sure but the speckling would be kind of wishy-washy.

-NHbabs, here are some links to sites that sells a few of them (it is SO sad that I have this memorized, lol):

Far Reaches Farm

Arrowhead Alpines

Plant Delights Nursery
    CMK

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I always learn so much from you guys.

Each of the selections I listed are actually available in my neck of the woods...within a hour's drive by car (LOST HORIZONS Nursery).

I was thinking about a shorter variety...maybe around a foot in height but there are several of these I have listed that are quite tall. And wow...these plants can be very expensive! (For example "Kon Chiri Shima" is shown as $58!!)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 9:06

Original Author
    10 years ago

I worry that mixing variegated Polygonatum with (vareigated) Hosta is redundant. So I need to be careful when choosing Polygonatum for a bed having existing hostas. I think I want my choice of Polygonatum to be almost a ground cover...at most 1 foot in height. (I really like the on-line pictures of "Kon Chiri Shima")

10 years ago

-Doug, that "Kon Chiri Shima" is cool- not sure I have seen it before.

I forgot to comment on the ones I grow last night... I do like the humile, but it runs pretty fast! I made the mistake of planting it by the patio by my other treasured plants and It has about taken some over. I'm going to have to move the patch to a bigger area at some point. Great groundcover though. The 'Striatum' is looking a bit weaker this year. It was already a bit weak to begin with (being so variegated), but I think the soil in this one area is very poor and I isn't getting enough nutrients.

Another one I REALLY want but haven't been able to find at all is a variegated form of P. humile. Think I scared my co-workers a bit when I first saw it online at work and squealed with delight, lol.

LOL! $58 is nothin'! At the now-no-longer-existent Asiatica Nursery I saw some rare Polygonatum going for a couple hundred each. I've never spent that much on one plant, though if I were to Polygonatum would be the one I suppose. Trouble is, many of the hardiness listings for the obscure ones on the websites are only guestimates and maybe a tad optimistic...so that would be a costly experiment!

So nice to have another Polygonatum lover here ;-)
    CMK

• buyorsell888
    10 years ago

I have the plain variegated one and I just bought one with red stems (at a specialty sale) that is gorgeous but it is too new to comment on it's garden performance.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

I'm a Polygonatum freak, but I like them big. The variegated multiflorum clone (with many different names) is most probably virussed in all nurseries, an unbelievably weak plant, died twice here. The double P.odoratum is a very slow grower for me, you have to bend down quite far (only 1 feet tall at the best here) to smell it.

I have read, that there is a species of Polygonatum (called giganteum or biflorum, depending on source) in Eastern North USA, that goes up to 2 meters tall(especially in the mountains of Pennsylvania). I'm seeking somebody from there to collect some seed for me from such plants (can swap for the seeds of my azaleas or other). I've bought it several times, but none of the clones here goes up more than 1 m.

Original Author
    10 years ago

wieslaw59 How about Polygonatum "Gigantic" (2 metres in height) or "cyrtonema" (1 to 2 metres) or "stenanthum" (2 metres)?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 19:54

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

CMK - Thanks for those nursery links; serious enablement!

• woodnative
    10 years ago

My patch of odoratum sported a single branch this year with a more rando variegation pattern. I just separated it off and hope it continues to sport in future years.

10 years ago

-woodnative, YOU LUCKY DUCKY!! That is killer! Please keep us all posted on how it does down the road...
    CMK

• marquest
    10 years ago

I only have the standard green/white SolomonâÂÂs Seal (Polygonatum) I use it where I want a little height in my hosta garden. It does spread fast. I have to keep thinning.

Original Author
    10 years ago

that "Kon Chiri Shima" is cool- not sure I have seen it before.

The nursery was unable to locate it in their shade beds :(.

So instead I "settled" for one that seems almost non existent in a google search ie "Gao Dan Bai". (Maybe it goes by a different name?)

Anyways here are two pics I took of it just before planting.

{{gwi:228323}}

• woodnative
    10 years ago

rouge21 Wow wow WOW!!!!!!! Can I ask where did you fine that one?? Is it an odoratum type????? LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

• woodnative
    10 years ago

rouge21 Wow wow WOW!!!!!!! Can I ask where did you fine that one?? Is it an odoratum type????? LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

It is always nice to get enthusiastic feedback from a fellow gardener.

What distinguishes "odoratum" Polygonatum from other Polygonatum?

I only see reference to it here:

Here is a link that might be useful: LH

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

I'm back. Rouge, I can swap for P.Gigantic seeds. What would you like to swap for?

Original Author
    10 years ago

I wasnt clear 'wieslaw'. I don't have those varieties I was just recommending some (very) large ones that you might not have considered. Sorry for the confusion.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

LOL

Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE May 2014:

Slowly but surely my "Gao Dan Bai" disappeared last summer...planted in June 2013.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it reappear with some vigor this spring.

Here is a close-up as of today:

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 9:58

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

Oh my that one is wonderful! Readily available? I have the odoratum, the native giant, and verticillatum rubrum and verticillatum kingianum, and humile. Love them all

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think so SP. I don't even think the name of it "Gao Dan Bai" shown at this specialized nursery is even correct as I see no mention of it on google.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

p.humile is a lovely 3 inch high variety. It is spaced a little too widely to be a completely weed smothering groundcover but it "reads' like one.

p.Grace Barker is gorgeous. In my garden it did not clump, Its rhizomes produced widely space stalks that suddently showed up in the middle of "something else" a foot or two away. I didn't like that For my tight knit shade garden, so I moved it to the "woodland" garden where it can romp where ever it wants.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

There is one called tiger stripes and also one called Nippon gold...You are so lucky to have this!! Unavailable everywhere it seems

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I also just added that Polygonatum humile and it is very sweet and a nice solution under a Maple as a ground cover. At least I am hoping it will fill in as one. So far it has been doing well.

Original Author
    9 years ago

There is one called tiger stripes and also one called Nippon gold...You are so lucky to have this!! Unavailable everywhere it seems

A wonderful independent nursery that I often visit has an outstanding collection of polygonatums.

See the 2 pages in their 2014 catalogue:

Here is a link that might be useful: Over 32 polygs listed

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

How lucky you are...I just saw, "we are no longer shipping plants"
    A great list and good reference however

9 years ago

Oh wow. Must admit, I'm a little green with envy over here! LOL. That is an amazing specimen Doug. Lovely, lovely, lovely...

You are lucky to live near nurseries that supply such rare gems!

Interesting about it "disappearing". Wonder if it is sensitive to summer heat?
    CMK

Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting about it "disappearing". Wonder if it is sensitive to summer heat?

Interesting CMK. I never considered that possibility for a Polygonatum (I always thought they were pretty tough). I had thought it was just kind of a delayed transplant shock as it was its first year in the garden.

I guess I will see what happens this summer.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Rouge- that is a really nice plant! I'm glad to hear it came back as well as it did, good for you!
    I'm polygonatum free right now but when I go visiting and see plants I've given away I wonder why.... But then I guess you can't grow everything lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

But then I guess you can't grow everything

Frustrating isn't it!

Original Author
    7 years ago

UPDATE:

Couldn't resist picking up this "Poly" today:

Byakko

• gdinieontarioz5
    7 years ago

That one is different! And fragrant too. Colour me jealous ;-).

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    7 years ago

Ooh, that is neat! Also admired the others upthread. I only have 'Variegatum' but I adore it; that arching form is perfection.

• brozeus
    5 years ago

Resurrecting an old thread but curious to see how Byakko has done for you Rouge.

It is SO unique but also pretty pricey. I have read that it requires "perfect" conditions to show the variegation that is so prevalent in the nursery photos. I would guess this means rich but well-drained soil and keeping it consistently moist but not over watered. Some AM sun and PM shade. Aka pretty much the same ideal conditions under which all woodland plants thrive...

I've also read it can take a few years for the plant to show variegation.

oI'd be interested to hear if you've got any other recommendations of Poly that thrive for you. I am just now exploring the many gorgeous varieties. I did add a mini variety last year to the border of my shade garden hoping it does indeed clump up and form an interesting ground cover. Our winter has been brutal, so I'll be interested to see if this little guy made it through and how vigorous/clump forming it ends up.

Polygonatum prattii

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello brozeus,

This past season Byakko really came into its own in that there were many eyes from this stand in the early spring. Having said that I actually moved most or all of the plant this past August or September to other more shady locations. I have my fingers crossed that I will see it this spring.

Here is a picture from mid June 2018. Is this the coloration you are hoping to see?

I highly recommend Dai Koga

It is vigorous and has beautiful color in June.

love your "Pratti"!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Rouge, seeing these two plants is always a pleasure.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • brozeus
    5 years ago

Wow! Yes, that’s exactly what I would hope for from Byakko. Truly a showpiece. Did it take a few years for that coloration to show? Do you give it any special treatment?

Dai Koga looks lovely too. Great contrast with the hosta!

Thsnks so much for sharing :)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked brozeus
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

('Babs' you are always so kind to my (often reposted) pictures :))