Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basic Creeping Phlox questions

Posted by ptwonline 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 20:01

Does creeping phlox aggressively crowd out other perennials or annuals or is it safe to have them nearby? Can the phlox be cut back/dug up easily to control it's spread?

What does creeping phlox look like when not in flower? It's beautiful in flower, but I haven't really seen it when it's just green. My garden beds look so bare and I want to fill it in a bit.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basic Creeping Phlox questions

You can trim it (not all the way back) I don't think it crowds too bad but it depends on what plants your worried about. And also it looks WAY different after flower don't worry it will fluff up the following spring and flower again.

o

It crowds like CRAZY. It grew up, inside and over the outside of a pine bush for me last year. It didn't kill it, but boy that felt aggressive for me. It's not terrible to cut back, but honestly a find a sharp shovel to be way easier. I just dig it. That way I get a nice clear edge line. I pretty much do this every spring or I fall behind and regret it. That being said, once a year with a shovel isn't too bad.
I like the look both green and flowering.

o

More green.

o

Ah, thanks for that! I guess I will confine it to areas near shrubs and keep it away from the perennials until I am more certain about it. Thank-you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here