Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black flowers

Posted by orangedragonfly z6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 20:22

Wondering if anyone can list any black (or almost black) flowers that they know of. I am mainly looking for Perenials. Actually I should say mostly looking for . I know of black mondo grass, black hollyhock... and thats it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black flowers

There is a very dark Asiatic Lily 'Landini'. Not a very good picture, but the color is quite close to actual color:

Landini

o

Viola Black Magic and Iris germanica Superstition are the only black (near black) perennial flowers that come to me right now. For near black foliage, Cimicifuga Black Negligee and Tiarella Crow Feather.

o

I drove past a varicolored patch of irises today with some remarkable black ones.

o

My darkest has to be Dianthus barbatus 'Nigricans'...but in trying to find a pic for you, came upon the following website...think you will find many ideas there...

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: Witch's Garden

o

There is a very dark columbine...

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Barlow columbine

o

This is mostly annual for me, but this year have had a few come back....Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Ace of Spades'....Grows to about 3-4' by about 14" wide with sturdy long flowering stems.
Photobucket

o

• Posted by triciae Zone 7 Coastal SE CT (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 08 at 22:04

Tall Bearded Iris 'Before The Storm' is black. I've had it five years & find it both holds up well to heavy rain & blooms readily.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Before The Storm'

o

i have a black iris, has a dark purple tint if looked at close up, n dark purple-ish black columbimes the seeds pk said grannys bonnets

o

I also have a black barlow columbine...different from the one pictured above.

o

Thank you , Thank you everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to have something different in my garden. So I am going to have a section of black in the front.

o

Dianthus Sooty, although it can be more biennial it reseeds itself so it is almost perennial.

o

Naked Coneflowers (Rudbeckia occidentalis) like 'Black Beauty' have black flowers. Theres also a new delphinium out called 'Chocolate' that has true black flowers. And dont forget the black tulips!
CMK

o

• Posted by j_nail 5 Eastern WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 16:28

I have some black tulips growing in my yard, they were there when I moved in so I'm not sure of much else. May be nice for a spring bloom in black as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here