Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chiastophyllum oppositifolium anyone?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 20:24

Doing a search I don't see much talk on GW re this interesting plant i.e. a sedum/succulent which can do well in some shade. (Maybe I have it spelled incorrectly...and I don't know its common name).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chiastophyllum oppositifolium anyone?

I'm not going to be much help here but...

I tried it a few times from seed without luck. Another GW bud sent me the seed and told me she grows hers in a pot and covers it some so it doesn't get so wet in winter. She is in z4 too, which is impressive since some sites state it can be more of a z6-er. From what I understand, it needs excellent drainage.

Ps. 'Jim's Pride' is an awesome looking variegated form. Someday I might just order one of the species or the variegated. Such cool looking pendulous flowers on it...
CMK

o

I picked one up just the other day. It looks like a healthy specimen. I will plant it right next to the stone edging thinking it will droop over the edge.

o

UPDATE:

I planted the one shown above last season and it easily made it through the winter. In fact after several feet of snow melted it appeared to have been evergreen.

It is blooming now and I like it enough (nice colour and interesting inflorescence) that I just added another plant close by.

o

I've had mine growing in a shady rock garden for over 10 years at least. I also had a variegated one for over 5 years, but it finally bit the dust. The variegated one was really nice, but not nearly so vigorous as the standard variety. Like most plants, it will bloom better with more sun. Great, low-care perennial.

o

Okay, I'm envious, lol. Nice looking plant Doug...
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here