Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladychroe

too much mulch.

ladychroe
9 years ago

Hi, we moved into our new house last fall after a long time between houses. It's good to be back on GW now that I have a house again!

Anyway, last fall I was planting a few tulip bulbs with a bulb auger in a blank bed spanning a couple of trees. I found that the black shredded mulch was piled up very high. I planted my bulbs 8" in (I like to plant them deep in the hopes that they will live longer) and even at that depth, I was planting in mulch. I left them that way - what can I say, I was suffering with morning sickness at the time - and they are blooming now. I don't expect much from them next year.

But what about perennials? I assume I will have to get rid of some of this mulch, but what do I do if there's a foot of it? Would I just dig through the mulch until I hit ground and plant there? Or dig large holes and fill them up with soil and plant? Being 6 months pregnant and possibly having to go on bed rest in the next month or so, I'd prefer to keep the digging to a minimum. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz