Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Regrets for planting grape hyacinths?

lilsprout
9 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new here to post, been reading for years. Love this place :)

I've planted lots of these little beauties (edged all my beds) and then heard they can be invasive.

What is your experience and do you regret or love?

Comments (10)

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

I WISH mine would be a little more aggressive! If they're invasive, no one told the ones that grow in my garden.

Foliage seems to die back faster than daffodils after blooming as well. What's not to love?

This post was edited by sara82lee on Fri, May 30, 14 at 21:45

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Not aggressive in Texas. Some have naturalized , I hear, but not in my old yard.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

I'm loving them... so far.

My aunt had a garden that was really rather overrun with them. They looked spectacular in bloom, but then she didn't like the look after, although in this particular bed was just mostly creeping junipers and shrubs, being a typical foundation bed. I personally didn't think it looked bad. I used to help her pull them, but I don't think we ever got the roots/bulbs and so they pretty much came back in force.

I have heard others complain about them as well, but so far I am not overrun or overwhelmed by them.

Dee

• sandymaex
    9 years ago

I am loaded with them. They spread all over. I dig them up and do bulb bags at my yard sale every year.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

I really like them. I don't have many at this house, but did at my last house - they have never been anything close to invasive or even aggressive in my yards. At my old house, they did seed a little bit - the clumps would grow bigger, but there would also be random ones that would pop up here and there in the same beds. If you mulch heavily, I'm guessing the random ones wouldn't be an issue.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

There were many of them in my garden when we moved in. I also added several hundreds afterwards. Now I only have a few left. Every inch in my garden is planted 2 - 3 times, so they must have gotten crowded out.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

I hope to recycle half of my thousands on freecycle. I think people read about them on the web, get nervous and don't show up after they say they say they want them..
    I think they look just awful in an organized perennial bed. All naturalized under a huge maple, not so bad.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I have random plantings of several varieties throughout the garden, I'm rather fond of them, every time I see a variety I don't have I bring a few home and pop them in. If the clumps get to big I just yard some of them out.

Annette

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies.

Thousands? Ughh

I will have to keep a good eye on them.

I planted 400 and feeling alittle nervous now......

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I think that there are some that spread by seed, and some that don't set seed. That may be the difference in people's experience. They are hard to remove if you don't like them where you plant them, as the tiny baby offset bulbs would have to be sieved out of the soil or constantly weeded or they come back. But they are reliable and very pretty in their time.