Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amikawi

How to Control Rudbeckia Nidita Herbstonne?

amikawi
15 years ago

Does anyone have advice about how to control Rudbeckia Nidita Herbstonne? It is spreading like crazy by runners to take over my entire garden. I used to really love it (as do the goldfinches in my yard), but I am starting to hate it because it is spreading so vigorously that I can barely grow anything else in that bed. I've tried to dig up the entire bed and pull out every little piece that is where I don't want it, but by the next year it is everywhere again.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Are you sure that's what you have? I don't know that to be invasive and spread by runners. Yes it seeds, but runners??
    Can you post a picture?But whatever you have....there is always the method known as shovel pruning. Just dig out what you don't want.

Linda C

• Donna
    15 years ago

I too question if you have the right name for your plant. I have had Herbstonne for three or four years, and only this year was the clump substantial enough to divide.

I suspect you may be referring to Goldsturm (about two feet high with golden/orange black-eyed susan type blooms; large fuzzy dark green leaves. Now, that one is very vigorous, but I have never had trouble digging it out. It does, however seed around, so you have to contend with seedlings for several years.

If this doesn't ring a bell, a picture would be helpful.

• amikawi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am almost sure I have the right name for the plant (except I misspelled it, should be Nitida, which is the same as Laciniata I believe). It is 7-8 feet tall, never needs staking, heat and drought tolerant in full sun, flowers in August/Sept, flowers are lemon yellow (not gold) with a greenish center. It has deeply cut leaves, completely different from most Rudbeckia leaves. I don't have any pictures in bloom unfortunately, but I can take a picture of the leaves if my description does not clarify the identity.

I may be making a mistake in saying it seems to be spreading by runners. The spreading seems to be underground (maybe runners is the wrong word then?). When I pull one up, I get a long trailing piece of root (pencil thick or bigger, with small side roots) that is connected to several other above-ground plants (for several feet in all directions). The way the new plants come up, they really seem to be generated from the roots instead of starting from seed.

Thanks for the help!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

What you probably have is species Rudbeckia nitida instead of the cultivar Herbstsonne. I don't have the species, but I have friends who do, and they say it's quite an aggressive spreader. I'd yank it.

• arbo_retum
    15 years ago

your description of form, color, height, roots- exactly fits my herbstsonne. but it has never been invasive. and I have TOOOOONS of it. Expanding, yes, each clump doubling or tripling every year. we have a perimeter 'plant fence' of this plant and various miscanthus. I whack it down by half in May so it won't get so tall and will not need staking. I divide it and sell it regularly. tremendous plant for us. so sorry you're unhappy w/ it. rather than tossing it, i would suggest planting it in pots, which is how we plant our variegated bamboos.the roots will still get through the pot bottom holes eventually but i think the pot would slow them down considerably. nothing to lose.... I bet there are schools and others who would love your divisions...
    best,
    mindy

• sinai
    15 years ago

I think mad gallica might have it nailed.....I too have lots of 'Herbstonne', and it expands but I wouldn't call it aggressive and it comes out of the ground easy enough, I love mine and grow in a corner, got 4 down on one side of the corner and 4 down the other....I give away a ton every year...sorry you're having such trouble with it or whatever you have...

Paul from Alabama

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Could it be Rudbeckia Lanciniata Hortensis or a relative?? I just dug some out for a plant sale and what you describe is right on target. It grows tall, roots are pencil size, and has deeply cut leaves. It is rhyzomaceous (sp?). Around here it is also known as the Outhouse Flower. :O) I don't find it aggressive, hence the reason for offering it.

{{gwi:194185}}

• HU-885743959
    2 years ago

I have no advice for stopping the spread but i surely can sympathize as i pull mine up every fall and still they come up again and in places i would never plant them all across the yard!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner