Help IDing this plant

Posted by marthastoo 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 21:13

X post in weeds

Is this a weed or a perennial?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help IDing this plant

I'm pretty sure it's a horehound of some kind which yes, most people would consider a weed. Does it smell vaguely minty?

o

Might be catnip/catmint.

o

Yeah that's a good call, probably more likely in a garden. Though many Lamiaceae look sort of like this. Could even be a plectranthus seedling but obviously that would not be so far along in zn 6.
At any rate, a lot of people consider catnips weeds, unless desired! Mints, catnips, even Monardas, they all spread like crazy if they are happy.

o

I don't think it's catmint or horehound since it doesn't really have a minty scent. It smells like a green leafy vegetable. Also, the leaves are very large. I know it's hard to tell scale in that photo, but the bottom leaves are almost 10" long.

o

Check the stem. If it's square, it belongs somewhere in the mint family.

o

Salvia ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here