Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Valentine Bleeding Heart Question

Posted by thegardenat902 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:33

I purchased a three pack of valentine bleeding heart roots today from Costco for $7 , and planted them today. It was an impulse purchase but I've always wanted them and I couldn't pass up the price.

I'm in zone 5 and I know these normally are blooming right about now... should I expect any growth from these babies this year or will they not come up until next spring?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Valentine Bleeding Heart Question

They will/should come up (possibly not bloom)

o

you saw nothing in the cell pack.. above the media???

ken

o

Ken,
She got them at Costco as "roots". They were probably tubers in a bag, so she wouldn't see anything at all. And she already informed us it was an impulse buy. By definition it was not carefully considered. She's asking what she can expect this year.

I agree with Shadyplace. They'll sprout, but might not bloom. Then again, if they haven't been in moist soil, they might sprout and bloom late. Make sure they have a shady spot.

Martha

o

Shadeyplace - Thanks for your answer! I hope you are correct.

Ken - They were in a bag, just tubers I guess and not roots. Similar to how daylilies come a lot of times from online sources. I've had good luck growing maximilian sunflowers & daylilies in this way, but I wasn't sure if planting them during what would normally be their bloom time, if it would mess up their growth for the year.

Martha - You are correct. I didn't realize they were tubers though, thank you for clarifying that.

Yep, they are sure in a nice shady spot! Thank you for your response. I don't mind too much if they don't bloom this year, just hoping they do sprout so I know if they are duds or not. I've never purchased flowers from costco so I'm anxious to see how they do.

o

Well, its counter to the method & ways i've had great success with & that's to pot up first, then place in direct sunlight & lightly fertilize the roots at least once until growth appears. Once growth appears let it grow in sun until it just begins to get hot & then plant it in the shade, carefully, as the roots are brittle & so is any new growth not yet above ground yet.
Keeping well watered if inadequate rainfall, helps it to keep it from going dormant earlier, especially if it gets hot before or during start of summer, too.
Trying out Dicentra 'pink' this year, but bought early while peat in baggy was still moist & have a few flowers now. I'm in coastal Virginia & its been rather warm lately and they're doing fine..Make sure the tops are upright, when planting also...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here