Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fifthelement111_gw

Making Tree Stump Planter...what to put in it?

Fifthelement111
10 years ago

Hello,
So I have a tree stump I am using as a planter. It has drainage holes and it's ready to go. I am wanting it to be strictly perennial, but I'm hoping to have a good blend of spring through fall blooms. With that being said, I would also like varying heights so they don't all overtake each other. I am still a novice gardener at best. If you lived in zone 5, what would YOU put in your planted? Keep in mind I have about 9 inches of depth and about 14 inches of width in the shape of a square.

I was going for something like this...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20658992_21259220,00.html

Comments (9)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

That size won't allow you to do all you hope to with strictly perennials. Do you have a picture of your stump and is it in full sun?

tj

• Fifthelement111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will totally get a pic up tomorrow. It is DEFINITELY in full sun. My issue is maybe based on ignorance? I have a hard time grasping the concept of annuals. I just feel like you spend the money, then have to spend the same money again next year? LOL Again, I'm a novice at best. But if annuals are also needed, well I've gone this far. I must keep going.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

If you want color for a long season using perennials in a planter that size, you will probably want colorful foliage along with some flowers since in general perennials won't bloom all summer. Bulbs with small foliage may help with early and late flower color. Your plants will need to be hardy to a couple zones colder than your zone 5 in order to survive the winter in the more exposed situation of the planter, and that would really limit your plant choices. The plants in your illustration are all annuals, and that may end up being a better solution for you.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Wed, May 8, 13 at 23:40

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

My only concern with perennials is that you'd be surprised at how fast a stump can break down. Especially when you don't want it to, lol. If you want it to disappear, it seems to last forever, but if you want it to stick around for awhile it seems to be gone in two or three years!

Of course, you can always move the perennials when/if it breaks down, and therefore enjoy it for a few seasons. But just be aware it won't be permanent.

You are right about spending money "again" on annuals, but the upside is you will have longer-season color, and you can change things up every year (or even every season!)

Dee

• marquest
    10 years ago

I agree about annuals but you could do a mix of annuals and perennials. To make it reasonable use seeds. You would be amazed at how fast some annuals grow and bloom from seeds. Just put your seeds in the mix of perennials in the beginning of the season and by summer you will have a blooming stump all summer and until first frost.

I throw Zinnas, marigold, cosmos and sweet allysum in every year for my color through summer until Fall.

The top of the trunk I would use a reblooming daylily, and early and mid blooming bulbs with annual seeds. The daylily leaves would give you cover annuals would give you the flowers.

At the feet of the trunk again reblooming daylily, Spring and Summer bulbs, and some more annual seeds. You could even do a short climbing clematis. Look for the clematis that they say are good for pots. It could limb the tree trunk.

These are all plants I have grown in pots so they should survive your climate in the trunk.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

At 14 inches across and only 9 inches deep you're going to have room for maybe 3 petunias and that's it. The depth is what really concerns me. This thing is going to dry out so fast, you'll be watering multiple times a day. Try something simple and easy the first year and see how it goes.

Kevin

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

Plant Sedums and Sempervivums. They look good and change colors. Don't think about blooms. Sedum 'Angelina' and Sempervivum 'Fuego' would look good together. Maybe throw in some Sedum 'Blue Spruce' too. The good thing about this is you don't need to water it much at all.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest succulents also, Sedums especially. With just the foliage, you can have an amazingly colorful display. Moss roses would appreciate that it's going to be dry. Especially if you like your stump, as mentioned above. If you put something you have to water every day or two, you'll be shocked how fast it degrades.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

Here's my hollow log. I just did it this year so the Sedums haven't filled in yet.