Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

Which coreopsis are bulletproof?

growitnow
10 years ago

Hi,

For me Zagreb has been indestructable, but when I try larger flowered varieties like Jethro Tull, they mildew and fail. I'd like to get and try more coreopsis varieties.

Which for you have been strong and reliable in heat and drought. For me thats the test because our Virginia summers are hot!

thanks,
growitnow
zone 7

Comments (6)

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

All varieties of C.verticillata except Moonbeam are bulletproof for me.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I think this will be the 3rd season for "Cosmic Eye" in my garden. I have it in several locations and each has come through just fine even after this past somewhat problematic winter. It is a bloom machine for me. I find the flowers for this coreopsis quite striking. (In contrast it appears that "Cosmic Evolution" and or "Star Cluster" did not make it through this winter.)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I've had Jethro Tull for about 4 years now, and it is still going strong. It is in part shade (really, no kidding), so I think that is why it's doing so well. Quadrupled in size. Can't seem to kill dwark nana, either, even though I'm not in love with it. Blooms on and keeps going with no regard from me. Go figure. I just put in Moonlight, Cosmic Eye & Mercury Rising. We'll see how it goes, although I have to say Cosmic Eye has been growing like crazy already. I put it in front of Mercury Rising because Mercury was supposed to be taller, but it doesn't seem to be turning out that way. Cosmic is much taller so far.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

none of them.

clearly, i am bitter and envious but, going right back to the days of Limerock Ruby et al, I have NEVER had much joy from a coreopsis - those that manage not to wither on the vine instantly, never return for a second go-round - although it has taken me much cash and many years of teeth-gnashing and flower-rage, I finally took heaps of pics of the most disgusting specimen that year.....to remind myself to never be suckered in again. It worked. Life is too short to waste more time and money on another bloody daisy (when there are many other better, reliable and delightful plants which are clearly overjoyed to be in my garden.
    Coreopsis, along with the ridiculously over-hyped echinaceas are history.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I think what might work well for you depends a lot on your moisture levels, soil and temperatures. There was an earlier thread, linked below, that started about new cultivars of coreopsis, but grew to include many not-so-new varieties. I went through it and made a list of ones that many folks liked and that should be hardy for my area, but the one from that list that I tried has limped along for two years, perhaps because it is borderline hardy for me.

I have been successful growing C. lanceolata and several different threadleaf varieties, but I am from a quite different hardiness zone than you and I don't know if your soil is like mine, so what grows for me may not work for you. If the forum for your more local area is active, this might be a good question to ask there as well. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/regional/

Here is a link that might be useful: Coreopsis thread

• vera_eastern_wa
    10 years ago

I've had C. lanceolata (just common species) that does extremely well in hot dry conditions, however just not sure how well in humid climates. They do have a really LONG bloom season if you keep up with removing spent flowers :)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner