Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

Foxglove

lesmc
10 years ago

I just love foxgloves...so pretty! I especially love them with my roses. They self-seed all thru the garden and I don`t mind a bit!! Lesley

Comments (8)

• BlueBirdPeony
    10 years ago

Lesley, they are beautiful!! I'm jealous. I've been afraid to plant any because I have a toddler that loves to touch, smell, and eat flowers in our garden. While we don't encourage the eating, but it makes me nervous enough to stay away from the known toxics (potentially toxics at least!).

• User
    10 years ago

well Bluebird, that is quite a lot of flowers including such faves as buttercups, daffodils, iris, hydrangeas, holly, horse chestnuts....the list is fairly endless because many popular plants have some degree of toxicity. Of course, as a parent, I fully understand your anxieties but when researching plants (in your position) I quickly became somewhat jaded by the great list of undesirables.

• david883
    10 years ago

I kind of second what campanula said regarding the toxicity. No "kids" but I have 3 dogs (they're my kids) and I didn't want to plant anything harmful to them. Quickly realized everything that was in the yard already when we moved in was on the doggy-no-no list.... you name it, it was out there. There are still a few I'll stay away from but...

Anyway, Lesley - that is beautiful. what kind of rose is that, too? I was looking at roses earlier this year and I thought I'd kill for a yellow or orange one lol. Its a great contrast to those foxgloves. Beautiful colors. I'm jealous :)

• BlueBirdPeony
    10 years ago

I agree with you both. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of toxics here already! I guess I just have it in my mind not to knowingly increase the risk? Maybe in a year or two I will throw that mentality straight out the window! Especially with the fox gloves- they are so beautiful!

• gigim
    10 years ago

I think these are so beautiful but have been hesitant to give them a try. Would they be ok in afternoon sun for about 2 hours then shade in south carolina? Are they hard to grow?

This post was edited by gigim on Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:54

• User
    10 years ago

nope, they are easy and hey, the time for sowing is right now. As well as the common purpurea foxgloves, there are many lovely species such as parviflora, lutea, thapsis and also, I am growing some sterile hybrids which will (supposedly) flower all summer. Although the seeds are tiny, you can either broadcast a few around the garden or sow in seed trays (germination is usually 100% with no need for heat/lights or anything. They will germinate and grow a nice basal rosette this year, then flower next year (and, if you grow the many perennial varieties, every year afterwards). They grow in shade, in sun and are not really fussy about soil. Give them a go - you could get addicted.

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another foxglove picture. I totally understand why one would not plant them if you have small children or pesky pets. They do make a statement, and I enjoy them.Lesley

• david883
    10 years ago

another great picture!