thank you so much

Comments (11)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

Stachys- likely cultivar 'Hummelo'...
    CMK

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Is this the same as the other plant on your list. I agree with the S. humelo.

• MilaSan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Agree.
    Looks just like my 'Hummelo'.

Maybe has more elongate leaves than several other Stachys I have/had (in the direction of the leaf shape of lamb's ears).

When was the garden/plant planted?; viz. Was it planted while 'Hummelo' has been selling/popular?

Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' has been widely available, at least here, in quite recent years.

• MilaSan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found four or five of these in the garden I found so I don't know how long they've been in the garden. I'm trying to restore the garden now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont ID things.. that i know are weeds... i just kill them ...

on some of your stuff ... you will probably have to come back at flower time to get a full ID ...

e.g. ... this looks like a very common weed that i kill all over my yard ... and you say.. its in a bunch of places ... so i wonder ... but you dont mention if it looks like it is intentionally around.. or spread itself....

and most of your quality 'named cultivars' ... that would be the ones with names in quotes ... are the high achievers ... flower-wise

so that some in the family with ugly or sparse flowers may actually be weeds.... but the high performers would be good ...

i am not saying this in particular to this one.. because i cant tell based on a pic of one leaf ...

when i moved into my first house.. i wanted to preserve the history of the garden.. it took me 5 years.. to finally get rid of all the problems the prior owners left.. in hindsight.. that was about 4 years too long ... just because it has a fancy latin name ... and everything does ... does not mean it is necessarily worthy of the garden ...

again ... i am not really addressing this particular plant .... i just picked this post to offer said wisdom ...

i am enjoying your project.. keep at us with the requests.. and asking for info on how to keep you enabled...

ken

• MilaSan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you all! Thank you. Thank you so much. You all have been so helpful and I'm working on the garden everyday and everyday something new pops up. So now I have to think of buying fresh top soil and transplanting these in the same garden but with more and better soil. I guess I'll have to buy mulch.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

MilaSan - all the plant pictures you have shown look like perfectly healthy specimens given the time of year. They look happy and well established. Whoever planted them knew something about perennials. I'm not convinced they need any interference except weeding and maybe mulching. What convinces you they need to be moved around or have their soil changed? IMO there is no reason to fiddle about with established, uncrowded and healthy perennials.

• MilaSan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

floral,

I guess I'm thinking that I want to know what is in the three gardens so that I can put the taller ones in the back and the smaller ones in the front. Also, I think someone told me that there were a couple of rose of sharons and I'll post them to see if they really are the trees they are talking about. Also, I think Ken may be right when he says that I should thin out the lilys.

Also, I think I want an garden that is easy to care about and if I establish placements now, it all will be good.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I would do very little this year but take photos , clean things up, fertilize, trim things when it is obvious and get rid of OBVIOUS weeds. Think about possibilities , and sit back and let things be revealed. There maybe more surprises that will come up later. More damage can be done to a gerden through ignorance and impatience.

• MilaSan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a better photo of that plant

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County