Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybea20_gw

Can I cut back foliage of May Night Salvia?

jaybea20
9 years ago

HI there-

I have some May Night Salvia and I notice some of them getting tons of foliage last year. As they develop this year, I'm wondering if I can I cut some of the foliage back without harming the plant (in hopes it would encourage more blooms and look less leafy)? I was using Miracle Grow last year but towards the end of the season I read it can encourage them to become leafy (go figure).

Thanks
J

Comments (6)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I wouldn't. It looks very good and looks like it will bloom well.

Kevin

• david883
    9 years ago

from the looks of it, now, I wouldn't. I have May Night and I think Meadow something-or-other. For the May Nights I let them bloom, let the blooms fade and sometimes just cut them almost all the way down a little while after. After they bloom the leaves start looking sad and they have new basal leaves peaking out. I cut down to the new leaves and it regrows and blooms again. If you have a few different plants try it on one and see if you like the results (I'll admit, sometimes the second round doesn't bloom as much).

This post was edited by david883 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 6:00

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you can not beat back the genetics of plant growth.. in hopes of making a smaller plant of it ...

i am of the opinion.. that given a halfway decent soil .. and note i am on glacial beach sand ... that no plant EVER needs feeding ... they can fend for themselves very well.. thank you ...

and i think you are starting to understand that.. with your insight into what hyperfertilizing MIGHT be doing to your plant ...

just keep in mind.. they are not children.. that need to be fed.. clothed.. sent to school ... they are plants .. and all they really need is water .. and they can do most of the rest thru photosynthesis ...

either move it.. where it has the space it needs...

or simply get rid of it... life is simply too short.. to get a hate on for some plant that is not cooperating with your master plan ... find some friend who will take it.. and be done with it ...

ken

ps: i learned thru experimenting... cut half the plant back.. leave the other half.. and report back to us.. how the experiment works out ... or divide it.. stressing the heck out of it.. and see how it responds ... etc ... there really no true path.. when you have the shovel and the pruners.. lol ...

• moliep
    9 years ago

Here's a video that shows how and when to cut back May Night. It's noisy in places but shows exactly what I do with mine. This plant has its own growth habit, as Ken said, and if you find that it's not what you like you can trade or give it away.

Molie

Here is a link that might be useful: How to deadhead Salvia May Night

• jaybea20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the insight! I will leave it alone and then cut back a bit after the first bloom is done.
    I will look up that video, Molie, videos help tremendously in helping me learn about pruning.

Thanks again everyone!

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Late:
    Great advice above.

Use/have used lots of salvias, especially 'Mainacht', 'Ostfriesland', 'Marcus' and 'Caradonna'.

Great plants for deadheading for a second bloom.
    Also find they're hardy and long-lived here.

I'm under the impression that though upgrading soil by periodically digging in organic matter (we have clay soil) is important to promote growth, it is not necessary, nor desirable, to use chemical fertilizers on garden perennials.

Ken, above, emphasizes the same point.