Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

need advice on planting

dolivo
10 years ago

Hello,
I was hoping for some advice and answers to some questions I had. I am planting some perennial beds this spring. This is the first one. What is in there is:
6 hostas
2 lady ferns
2 garden phlox

I know the hostas will get bigger, and the ferns somewhat. My question is, will these plants fill in this bed so that it looks nice and "full of plants" and not so sparse? Should I put more plants in? Right now they are all about 2 feet apart. if they will fill in, how long will it take? a year or two? or many years?
Thanks!

Comments (13)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

The tags should tell you the width of the plants and you can use that to guide you. It probably won't be full the first year, but I usually use some annuals the first year to give it a bit more fullness and color until the perennials have had a chance to get nearer to full size.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, thank you :) The tags, I believe, say 18-22 inches apart in most cases. I was just wondering how much these plants would expand and fill in. For example, in a year or two, will this bed look really nice and full? It's a good idea to fill it with some annuals this year.

• BlueBirdPeony
    10 years ago

Such a good question. I have a hard time with this too. I have three hostas that are about three feet in diameter. No idea what kind they are but they get HUGE. So definitely the hosta will fill in nicely.
    The answer to your question is really one of personal preference. Do a google image search for garden styles and see which you prefer. I like a cottage style garden where things are informal and kind of run together. Other people like to see spaces of mulch in their garden. If you like a full garden then you may want to put in some more. If you're not sure then I agree with grabbing some annuals to fill in until you decide what type of look you like.
    There is no right answer! I know that can be frustrating...

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, your hostas are beautiful. How old are they?

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

A minor design note, dolivo: I noticed you currently have the plants placed so that the front row plants are directly in front of the back row plants (square pattern). It is generally more pleasing to the eye to have the plants in the front reside midway between the plants in the back row (triangular pattern). And it also helps to give the bed a more uniform fill-in look.
    Hostas are usually unhappy growing in my area. I hope you will share some photos of your bed after they have a chance to get established.

• david883
    10 years ago

I agree with Gyr_Falcon.... triangular would help with filling in, and appearing to fill in quicker. Also would help to keep things from overlapping.
    Regardless of the garden style you like one thing I have to keep reminding myself of is height. I just redid one area last fall where two clematis overran the place... put in all new stuff I either bought or was given and now, come this spring, everything is pretty low growing. Right up against my house it looks kind of plane. It looks to me like the garden phlox are second from the right and left, with ferns behind them. Not sure what your labels for both of those say but I have phlox that is supposed to get anywhere from 3-4 feet and lady ferns in my yard (that have been here since before I moved in) and they're only about 2 feet tall at most. You might want to swap those... Also not sure what your sun is like in that area but my ferns fry in the sun and I though phlox needed a lot of sun. Just observations though.

I do love the look of hostas alongside phloxes and ferns. I was never a huge hosta fan until I started gardening myself and putting them with other plants. That's where they really stood out to me.

Best of luck! Can't wait to see pictures next year when its really gotten going!

• BlueBirdPeony
    10 years ago

I actually don't know how old they are because they were here when I bought this house. Sorry!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the inherent problem.. is your need for instant gratification ...

that is not how gardens are designed ...

your spacing is ABOUT right ... do NOT put more plants in.. because you cant wait .. more perennials anyway ...

should you wish to 'fill it up' .. A BIT ... then fill in with some annuals ... for a year or two.. while the other stuff matures ...

your bed.. should probably be about twice as deep as it is.. the plants in back.. will not 'spread' properly.. once they start grinding themselves on the brick ....

and i do agree on the offset.. rather than plants in front of each other ...

gardens are not really a plant FOREVER type of thing.. offset them.. and let them grow.. and if you dont like how it turns out this summer.. we can move them around in fall ...

gardens evolve.. they are never static.. and planted once.. for eternity ... just plant them.. and quit worrying about it ....

good luck

ken

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great advice :)
    A few answers....
    I saw online that the phlox gets pretty tall too, but the tags that came in the plants say the height is only 12-20 inches. So I was confused about that. If you all still think it's better to switch them with the lady ferns, I can do that. The bed is east facing and gets the nice morning sun and lots of afternoon shade. I choose all these plants because the tags said "part shade".
    The staggering or triangle spacing advice is a good idea; thanks! I will do that. :)

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OHHHHH and another question! Fertilizing! When should I, how much should I, and what is the best to use? The soil is a half/half topsoil/compost mix I just put in.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

You've received plenty of good advice above to which I'll add my own voice in support. I'll also weigh in favor of the suggestions to plant in a staggered pattern or drifts of three plants set in a diagonal line to the walkway/path.

Check the tag on the phlox--Phlox divaricata/woodland phlox grows in part sun well enough, forms a low-growing mound and blooms in mid-spring. My own are blooming now in part sun on the north side of my house. Phlox paniculata/tall garden phlox needs full sun, grows to a height of 2-3 ft. and blooms mid- to late summer.

I have planted many "designer" hostas in a full shade bed similar to the one pictured above, all chosen for their specific attributes. 'Krossa regal' & 'Regal splendor' are the two largest, growing nearly 3 ft. tall and as wide each year. The rest grow to their same height/width every year.

My shade bed in early spring
    {{gwi:198699}}

Mid-season
    {{gwi:196300}}

I don't fertilize my established perennials. Those that have adapted to my soil conditions are thriving without it. Annuals may need regular fertilizer but for those I use a seaweed extract concentrate. I don't use chemicals in my garden.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, you've sure got a pretty shade garden! The tag says "Garden Phlox -Flame Coral - Phlox Paniculata" Height 12-20", Spacing 24", Sun or partial shade". So if I'm understanding correctly, the tag is telling me something completely different than what you guys are telling me. Obviously it makes more sense to trust you experienced gardeners, but why make tags that are inaccurate? That's slightly frustrating for someone just learning.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

I never feed any plants upon planting- I only feed after I see active new growth. That tells me they have established some new roots and are ok to feed.
    And depending on climate don't feed after mid-summer. They need time to slow down before winter hits.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!