Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea...I think?

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 22:05

This may be a stupid question,but is this an oak leaf hydrangea? Its shape is so unusual that I wasn't sure, but the flowers seem obvious enough. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea...I think?

I don't think so, at least if it's blooming now. Oak leaf hydrangeas, at least the ones I've seen, bloom in the summer and the blooms are in panicles, like peegee hydrangea. Could it be a viburnum? Could you post a close-up of the leaves?

o

This is the only other one I have for now. I'll have to take another one today.

o

It looks to me like Viburnum opulus (AKA highbush cranberry.) This looks like the lacecap flower form, which I think is the wild type, rather than the snowball form of flowers.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Mon, May 27, 13 at 13:44

o

Oakleaf hydrangea has an oak leaf type of leaves and also has panicle or conical blooms. It is in bloom down here now but, it is too early for blooms in your zone so it makes more sense that it be some type of early flowering vibirnum. Pretty though. Reminds me of an unnamed H. Macrophylla that I have; it has lacecap blooms like in your picture but my plant does not grow as tall as your shrub appears to be. My lacecap hydrangea leaves are different from yours too.

Sample oakleaf hydrangea picture:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=picture+of+oakleaf+hydrangea&fr=chr-swat02

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacecap Hydrangea

o

Looks like viburnum Onondaga

o

Looks like viburnum Onondaga

o

Thank you all! I agree with the viburnum Onondaga comments. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here