Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy containers?

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 22:06

Where do you buy your containers? I scored a great deal in two five gallon ceramic planters last fall (end of season sale). I need a few larger ones for my front porch. Prefer that there are already holes in the bottom. Prefer to not buy online (seems wasteful shipping something that big?).
Where do you buy your containers?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy containers?

Not a huge Walmart fan but I bought two huge pots there last year. Very inexpensive IMO. They did not have holes in the bottom but power drill remedied that. They are plastic, not ceramic, but they don't look plastic to me. They have them in red,green and tan

Here is a link that might be useful: walmart planter

o

finding it was easy .. lol ..

i said:

many good nurseries.. have a recycle bin.. might be a great place to find some FREE pots ... to grow things in.. until the bargains roll around in fall

ken

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:31

Many different places. I love interesting pottery pieces, so if I'm out and about and see something I like I just buy it, if I really want it I'm not going to wait for a sale. Well-made pottery/ceramic pieces are expensive, but I view as an investment, as the good stuff lasts a very long time with care.

For plain cheapie clay pots, I buy at the local nursery, they're only a few bucks each (hence, they're thin and aren't difficult to beak...you get what you pay for...).

For plastic pots to line my pottery or grow seedlings/transplants in, I save the pots from the plants I purchase - can't beat free for that stuff!

This post was edited by mxk3 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:32

o

One of my nurseries has a spring special, buy I ceramic pot get the second equal value free. I have gotten several too expensive for me large pots this way.

What Is hard to find for me is unusual pots. Perhaps because we have to take pots inside for the winter not many people use ceramic or clay pots and most pots I see are the very plain ones, either all one color or a couple of blended colors. I'd be willing to pay more for an unusual pot.

o

Steins Garden Center has a nice variety of both ceramic and clay pots. I can find more expensive must-haves at local nurseries.

And how lucky for you to have purchased your home from a landscape architect!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here