Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium pratense 'Plenum Violaceum'

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 22:25

Do any of you grow Geranium pratense 'Plenum Violaceum'? It is gorgeous with tiny (about 1/3 the size of 'Rozanne') glowing purple, perfectly formed double blooms, finely divided foliage and a long bloom period. Problem is, it is not what I would call vigorous by any means. My plant did not bloom until its second season and only had one growth point. But it stayed in bloom for two full months and put on an amazing show for such a scrawny plant. My plant is in 3/4 sun in well-amended, humusy sandy-loam soil.

Oddly enough, my plant completely disappeared by mid August last year after it was done blooming. I thought it had died or had bloomed itself to death. But this spring it has returned, and now has three growing points!

Has anyone noticed this plant's strange early dormancy before? Every other hardy geranium I know will send up a fresh rosette of foliage after blooming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium pratense 'Plenum Violaceum'

yes, it will go into vanish mode...as will G.nodosum, and G tuberosum....and possibly G,aristatum. They are, I suppose, what you might call a spring ephemeral (we tend to not use that expression in the UK)....but are completely reliable, year on year.
Yes, it does take a while to build up a substantial rootgrowth....but is one of the only pratense types I would bother with.

o

Camps, your advice is always much appreciated. I confess that I have a "thing" for hardy geraniums and I am always on the lookout for more, whether as growing plants or as seeds.

Why do you say that 'Plenum Violaceum' is one of the few pratense types you would grow? Are Geranium pratense and its many forms too robust, too weedy, too ugly...? Even the wild blue G. pratense seems lovely to me and I would love to have a meadow filled with it. I think most hardy geraniums are unobtrusive enough that I wouldn't mind them reseeding all over (the finely cut foliage of most of them doesn't seem to smother and bulldoze neighboring plants).

That said, I am considering starting a batch of 'Mrs Kendall Clark' from seed. Should I avoid it?

o

Nothing wrong with ordinary G.pratense....although it does tend to get a bit mildewy and has a fleeting bloom season. I do have (lots) of it - I guess I should have said that violaceae plenum (along with himalayense Birch Double) is the only earlyish variety I would buy.
Mrs K C is a real winner at dusk - it gets that moon touched, luminous electric glow.

o

Great to know that about the color of "Mrs Kendall Clark'. I went ahead and splurged on some seeds from Jelitto, since they offer MKC as part of their Gold Nugget collection. I thought it would be nice to have geraniums germinate quickly and uniformly for a change, lol!

The way you describe the growth habit of G. pratense, it almost sounds like our native G. maculatum (except for the mildew part). G. maculatum is one of my favorite wildflowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here