Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful bright green leaves...no idea what it is

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:28

[By way of a disclaimer: we unknowingly bought our house from a landscape architect when the entire 2.5 acres was under 4 feet of snow. We are now approaching our third summer here and are still discovering new plants. It's like a treasure hunt.]

I happened to walk by this today and I have no memory of ever noticing it before. That feels absurd because it has such a gorgeous spring green color that I can't believe I never saw it before.

Anybody have any ideas what it might be?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful bright green leaves...no idea what it is

Close up.

o

Could it be some sort of spirea?

o

Spiraea japonica. Maybe 'Goldflame' or similar yellow leaved cultivar.

o

I agree since I can see last season's dead flower heads. It will have pink or white flowers in a few weeks, but the real show is the all season bright chartreuse foliage.

o

some peeps cut them to near the ground every year ...

they are nearly indestructible ...

i once chopped a 4 footer down to 6 inches.. and dug a 1.5 foot ball ... and dragged it across the acres ... IN AUGUST... and barely watered it ... and it survived ... i did that because of a deck project.. and i didnt care if it survived ... total benign [???] abuse ...

yours is looking a little thin towards the back.. and it might be sun starved from that direction... so you could either move it.. or cut it back... for better shape.. or it might start flopping on you ...

it is a full sun plant ...

ken

o

If you really like it & want more, just cut off a piece of it & stick it in moist ground. I don't think I've ever had any not take root & I've done it for several friends.

o

Yes! Spirea! Definitely.

I think it might be sun-starved, Ken. I need to trim up some trees in that bed. I'll give that a shot before I think about moving it.

Such an interesting plant it seems. Hardy, impossible to kill, easy to propagate, beautiful foliage.

Thank you, everyone!

o

Ken, I definitely agree with how tough spirea can be. I actually dug some up this year and the root system is very, very robust, which helps explain their toughness.

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 18:18

My spirea is 4 years old and let me just say, it's not my favorite. . . sparce leaves, no new height, unsightly to say the least. It faces west, has good soil, ample water. . . it's 'bout outta here. . .

o

I love Spirea japonica and so do the bumblebees.

Lucky you buying a 2 1/2 acre property from a landscape architect!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here