Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Dicentra varieties to choose?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 22:50

I’m looking especially for white, but also would like a clear pink in the classic large “heart” shape. I saw some blooming in a public garden that had kind of a wimpy color.

I am getting ready to go to an out of state nursery in about 2 weeks. If they are not blooming (and they might be done by then) I’m not sure how to tell, unless I know the right botanical name for the ones I want.

Also which kinds are ephemeral, vs. the ones whose foliage persists? I’m not sure which route to take. In a bed where I have a lot of hosta ephemeral would be fine. I always wonder about my Virginia Bluebells leaving a hole when they go away but then the hosta seems to fill in.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Dicentra varieties to choose?

I absolutely love 'Goldheart', a gold-leaved form of the common Bleedingheart. It does not seem to go summer-dormant as easily as the species.

o

I love D. spectabilis 'Alba' growing in my full shade bed but right from the start planned on it going dormant early in the season. It's just too absolutely gorgeous not to plant. I surrounded it with other shade-loving perennials, including Carex 'Ice Dance' & Hosta 'Krossa Regal' so there are things that conceal the dying foliage once it goes dormant. It's planted on the north side of my house and is right out there to anyone driving or walking past on the road.

It's been my experience that the thread-leaf (D. eximia) bleeding heart varieties persist & continue to bloom right into the autumn garden (altho they're noticeably smaller than D. spectabilis) whereas the species can grow quite large--my DIL has a pink one that grows to about 3' x 3' every year.

D. spectabilis is also tough as nails--I had some construction done where one was literally growing out of a concrete stairway in full sun for years and, lo & behold, discovered it growing & blooming fully 15 ft away at the top of the stairway this spring.

o

'Gold Heart' and 'Valentine' are superior to all others in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here