Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering guidelines, burning bush, transplanting

Posted by kss1956 ma (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 22:58

Yesterday I planted yesterday hostas and transplanted barberry plant and eunonomous (spelling?) I am a detailed person and need guidelines on how often to water- week number 1, 2, etc. Also, my burning bush got large very fast and is too close to my PJM. I know now is not the time to cut it back, but can I cut it a small amount? Any damage by doing this? Lastly, I know that the fall is the best time to plant and trnasplant. I am thinking about moving my hollies. I appreciate any advice and thoughts.

Thank you,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering guidelines, burning bush, transplanting

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 13:26

You can prune your burning bush now, it's not a problem.

Regarding watering, when you transplant something you have to play it by ear - a lot of it depends on the weather (temperature, wind, rain or lack thereof). You should check the transplants every day and if they show signs of wilting, then water them. However, be careful not to overwater - too much water is not good, either and can cause a plant to rot/drown.

If it's been a couple days since you've watered and the plant is droopy or wilting, then of course just go ahead and water - you can just assume it needs water.

However, if you're watering frequently, then you need to check the soil about an inch down. Easist thing to do is stick your finger down about an inch and get a feel for the moisture content of the soil. If the plant is wilted but the soil is moist about an inch down, don't water any further, let the soil dry out more between waterings.

If it's windy or the sun is beating down on it, that can also cause wilting even if the soil is moist. Temporarily cover the plants with something that will offer protection yet still allow air to get in there (e.g. pottery/planters with drainage holes, lawn chairs, rose cones with holes, whatever you have lying around that will work is fine).

There really is no set timetable for watering/protecting transplants - you have to wing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here