Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Recommended peony sources?

I posted here because the peony forum appear to be more for serious enthusiasts rather than rank beginners like me; plus here there is more traffic.

Is it too late to buy now? I know the usual time is in the fall. But I have a hole in my row, and if possible I would like to give a new plant time to become acclimated and get a jump on next year's growth. I got a an email from Gilbert Wild, but I have never bought anything from them.

I bought a Buckeye Belle in April which is described as being deep red. I don't know if that is a true red, or actually magenta or raspberry.

I am looking for a plant to balance the row. If I choose anything described as a "red" is it likely to be the same kind of red as Buckeye Belle? I know this is a tough question to answer. The other ones in the row are a double white, Snow Mountain, and Festiva Maxima, which I chose because it is white with red streaks.

Buckeye Belle is described as an anemone /lotus type (single or semi-double with an open center). A "red" with that same type would be a plus.

I was looking at potted ones today, and the tags just said "red double," no variety name. The colors on the tags looked like magenta to me, anyway. I would prefer another single or semi-double with an open center, anyway.

Is Karl Rosenfield red? I saw that bare root at a store and could go back for it, assuming they are not gone.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Klehm's Song Sparrow farm has magnificent peonies. But quality nurseries do not ship peonies until fall, except for tree peonies. Sorry, you'll have to wait.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I think you may have a hard time finding a peony with your specifications w/o ordering online. Most local places carry the usual suspects for peonies and I don't think I've ever seen a single red. I have Scarlet O'Hara which is more dark magenta than red but stands up with no support and they are huge plants. I saw 'America' over in England and have never forgotten it. It was a huge single red and absolutely gorgeous with no staking. Not sure how readily available that one is through mail order. Certainly mail order will be more expensive than if you find bare root packages somewhere like Home Depot or Wal Mart, but you'd be able to get what you want and be happy for years with the choice.

Good luck! No matter what you get, you can't go wrong with a peony!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was guessing this would be the case, but did not want to assume without really knowing. When I was looking at the unnamed âÂÂred doubleâ at the store yesterday, I thought, âÂÂDo I really want to go to all the trouble of planting, only to be unhappy with my choice in the end?â The money and effort can go toward something I really enjoy: the pleasure will just be deferred. Thanks to you both.

• casey1gw
    9 years ago

I bought a package of 4 single peonies (2 red and 2 white) at Costco last year for $12. They may still have some left from this spring.

This is a pic of the white.

• ginnier
    9 years ago

I'd go to a good garden center or nursery and ask their advice.

Years ago, I saw a gorgeous peony that had flowers like the Cosco pictured above. But the "bush" was like 6 feet tall!!!! I thought I knew the street and have looked and looked for it but haven't seen it again except in my dreams. It was just what I'd love to have.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I guess it could be a tree peony then.

I'm also a peony newbie so in this respect, I don't mind buying a kind of cheap or inexpensive peony first. If it makes it, that's great and if it didn't, I won't feel too bad.

I still treat and care for the plant but just sometimes, it won't make it. A case in point is that I've been told my zone is kind of iffy for peonies, because it doesn't get quite a cold weather effect in the winter time, so I'll be glad if the peony I planted this spring does being to thrive in the following years.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Peonies are notorious for falling over when the blooms overwhelm the stems so I really prefer the single rather than double blooms. They seem to stay upright. I have both and have made 'stick' cages with twine around the ones that tend to droop but I really like not having to mess with that.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I haven't ordered from Gilbert Wilde, but I've seen their gardens. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them...but I suspect they won't ship till fall.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

Gilbert Wild definitely. Most of my hostas and peonies came from there. They have wonderful sales and the roots are large and healthy.