Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Deer / rabbit repellants

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

Do those sprays that you spray directly on the plants work? I saw one that had garlic and another that had rosemary and mint oils. I'm worried about my beloved Oriental lillies....if the deer (or who knows what else) made a snack of my tulips, my lillies are going to be the dinner buffet...

Comments (7)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I have used Deer Off and Deer Away, and they do seem to work. I had heard or read once to switch things up every now and then, as deer get used to the taste of whatever you are using, and honestly I don't know if there is much difference between those two particular products, but I have had fairly good success with them and do switch them up. These two sprays are the ones with garlic, rotten eggs, etc.

They are expensive, but I think worth it. I've seen recipes for homemade versions, but God only knows how anyone can make that stuff in their kitchen without passing out.

They will also keep every other living creature with a sense of smell out of your garden, lol.

One day after work I stopped by a friend's garden, which I help take care of, and although in my work (office) clothes I thought, oh, let me just give a quick round of Deer Away. Wouldn't you know just as I pulled the trigger a wind came up, and blew it all back on me! Not only did I almost throw up (and I am not exaggerating here) but it was a LONG ride home, lol. Even after showering I swear I could smell that stuff on me. Yuck.

But yes, short answer, they work fairly well for me!
    :)
    Dee

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with Liquid Fence. All the same comments as above: expensive, smells really terrible, a shower afterward is mandatory. Alas, it does seem to work and it lasts several weeks (unless the plants put on a lot of growth, in which case the new growth needs spraying since it wasn't there last time you sprayed).

• marquest
    10 years ago

Yes the ones mentioned work, yes they will eat your lilies. I have herds of deer and hundreds of rabbits. You have to switch up but start with something ASAP they will eat the tops off before the buds even develop and you will not see any lily blooms this year.

Dee you gave me a big belly laugh with that story. Thank you I needed that.

I have made up the recipe and switch up using it when we get lot of rain so I do not waste the good expensive stuff. It really is not bad if you just put everything in the bottle and let it sit outside in the bottle and use it as you need. That way you are not smelling everything at once. I to to the Dollar store and buy the garlic in the bottle and pour the juice in the bottle.

I have a lot of critters and lots of garden I have to save by using my own deer repellent.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Ah, Marquest, you are much braver than I am, lol! I don't think I could make my own! It was always bad, but after that one time, I could smell it (and taste it!) for days - swore my car smelled for days, lol, especially after a hot day in the parking lot. Now I make sure where the wind is before spraying!

But (knock on wood) my critter problem is not too bad and I can get by with about two bottles a season.

:)
    Dee

• coxy
    10 years ago

have tried them all and Liquid Fence works best for me. Rather than spraying the individual plants I spray the trunks of trees surrounding my property so they avoid coming in at all. I spray once a week even tho it says that after the first few weekly applications you can do it monthly. I'm afraid to take a chance on waiting that long between applications. I get the gallon size on Amazon.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I swear by dried blood. It's granulated, in the organic fertiliser section. Sprinkle it on the plants and at the perimeter of your property. It has no odor.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I'm going to pick up some of the deer repellant at the nursery today, then. Not sure which one I'll get, I'll see what this other nursery I'm going to has. I'm going to get it and spray my lillies ASAP! (Plus I'm working all week so if it stinks up the garden to high heck for a couple days it won't matter, I won't be out there LOL!)

This post was edited by mxk3 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 12:47