Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

What a difference a year makes!

This spring my region has enjoyed cool temperatures with a good amount of rainfall. It is such a change from the oppressive heat and drought that were already going full force at this time last year. Not great beach weather, but the garden is thriving!

Spring bulbs lasted for weeks and weeks, and early blooming perennials have been in prime condition for far longer than average.

My OT and LO lilies have returned with huge, thick stems and are already much taller and sturdier than last year. Last year my Lilium lankongense hybrids from The Lily Garden were pathetic and tried to flower when barely six inches tall. This year, they are 2.5 feet tall and just now showing hints of forming buds deep within the growth points. Lilium regale is forming twice the number of buds per stem over last year.

My globe alliums have been thriving and are all at least a foot taller over last year. 'Ambassador' is a good 5.5 feet tall and 'Globemaster' is approaching 4 feet. Almost all of them returned from last year and almost all of them doubled. Flower heads are at least as large as last year. I am surprised by all of this since I fully expected them to diminish in both size and vigor.

Among other alliums, Allium cristophii, A. sphaerocephalon and A. caeruleum have all returned much larger than before. Some A. cristophii stems are at least 3 feet tall this year and the flower heads will probably be as big as basketballs. Some of the A. sphaerocephalon are so robust they almost look like garlic!

Hardy geraniums are thriving. My clumps of 'Rozanne' scattered throughout the garden are becoming big and lusty with multiple branches. There is heavy bud set and amazing growth on 'Rosemoor' and 'Tiny Monster'. Geranium maculatum is stunning this year.

Roses are setting unbelievably massive quantities of buds. Phlox divaricata has been in glorious full bloom for a month now. Ranunculus acris 'Flore Pleno', which had tiny dime-sized blooms last year, now has gigantic swirled flowers over an inch wide.

I feel like I could gush on and on. If only every spring were so springlike!

Tell me, how do your gardens look this season compared to last year?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor