Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_macinnis_crozier

What would you plant with...

Liz
10 years ago

What would you plant with Hydrangeas and conifers (weeping blue spruce, two small balsams) to fill in a bed?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would have to see a pic .. to really understand it all ...

whats your inclination towards height ...??? high.. groundcover ... middle ..??

and which hydrenga.. i would note.. but for the brief flower cycle..l it is probably JUST green.. so i would be looking for plants that flower in other months ... including fall

ken

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got a great deal on two mound blue spruce and a blue star juniper. I was thinking limelight or incrediball hydrangeas. The back wall is 4.5'. I don't want to cover to much stone but would like to purchase a weeping larch or spruce to put in. I like daylillies. I want to put purple and yellow in with the blues of spruce and a lighter green conifer for foliage to get the odd 5 with the conifers. I also like bearded Iris.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful house. But how big is that garden space? Sounds like you want to put a lot into it?

Dee

• molie
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm right behind Dee in that it would be a shame to crowd in so much stuff so that the stonework will get covered! That is a beautiful feature and needs to "show." For what it's worth, we have a weeping larch and it can get pretty big and long over time and would completely fill that area (if I'm judging the depth correctly).

Definitely consider something low-growing and evergreen as the foundation of that garden then pick a few statement perennials with red or dark purple leaves/stems to contrast with the stonework.

Which direction does that face? How much sun does it get?

Molie

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I want to put so much stuff in is because I don't really know what I am going for. I am going to have pots with annuals. I am going to take the larch advice and work with my two beautiful mound blue spruces. They were regular 150 and I got the for 50 because the Canadian tire put the wrong sale price on them out in the nursery and decided to honour it. Yay for me.

The house wall is 9ft + 11ft (so 20 feet in length total), the depth is 5ft 10inches along the 11ft side and 8ft 9inches on 9 ft side. The veranda wall is 3ft in the jog and the rock was is just over 4ft high. The house faces east and get sun from the early morning till about 2.

I was thinking of hydrangeas and lilies because I love them but would be open to putting anything in there. How my conifers should I put in? How many flowering shrubs? I have 6 acres of grass developed yard that I have with different trees, veggies and bushes so I can put some of my favourites in other area.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

SunnyAlberta ... I live nearby at Spruce Grove ... 'Limelight' hydrangea would show off very well against that dark stone, my 'Limelight' has peformed excellent. Two years ago, I planted 'Incrediball' and for whatever the reason the plant died, though put in another one (this time situated near to the house) and the thing has wintered well, was a beauty last summer with massive blooms!. If you're into roses, 'Morden Belle' would also show nicely ... so would a 'Ville de Lyon' clematis ...

Terrance