Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_whitbyon

What is this giant green thing in my garden?

pam_whitbyon
14 years ago

I moved here at the end of June last year and this plant was much smaller than it is now. I'd love to dig it up and throw it out, but I thought I should check here and see if anyone knows what it is, and if it will reward me with something nice later on, lol...

{{gwi:230801}}

Comments (19)

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Wow, it's very beautiful! It looks like ornamental rheum. I just learned about rheum last week. :D

• pam_whitbyon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well i sure wish you lived across the road from me!! I'd dig it up and wheel it over!

I checked some pics of rheum and i don'tthink that's what it is. BUT - I have figured out how to do bigger pictures.. here they are again....

{{gwi:230802}}

{{gwi:230803}}

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

I have no idea what it is and I am not in your zone but wow, what a plant! Don't you just want to let it go and see what it does? I sure would.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's a weed. The name escapes me right now...I have comfrey stuck in my mind, but not sure if it's that. I had a bunch on my lot when I moved here and thought it was an ornamental, too. Learned later it's a weed with a VERY deep root.

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

Yes, it is burdock. The taproot is deep, do your best to get it all out.

pam_whitbyon thanked Carrie B
  • anitamo
    14 years ago

Burdock...that's it! I hate it when my mind goes blank. LOL.
    Even after you think you got it out, it returns. Take it out again, and again...until you deplete it of nutrients. Even after nine years, when I first dug them out, I still find a seedling popping up.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

I have them coming up every year in the same spot. Always rip them out ASAP but they come right back. Probably one of those plants that ill resprout from the tiniest bit of root. Maybe pull out what you can and treat the stub with Round-up?

pam_whitbyon thanked linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
  • pam_whitbyon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, yes it matches the burdock pics exactly. Can you believe it's even grown more since yesterday when I took those pics? I was reading that they're somewhat edible... Hmmm. Today, spaghetti and burdock salad. Tomorrow, burgers and grilled burdock. Friday, burdock soup... and it's apparently a good medicine too. Oh well, it's still being excavated!

• goodhors
    14 years ago

I think burdock was one of the successes when I tried using cider vinegar as a weed killer. Just sprayed it on full strength. Been a few year since I tried that, not sure anymore. Vinegar is CHEAPER than Roundup.

I am sure they are edible, my BIL took a survival course and had to eat some. Not sure which part though.

• blueberrier1
    14 years ago

Looks similar to a horseradish a friend had. In any case, sometimes a 'wicked-out of place' plant with a large taproot will succumb to a tablespoon of salt applied to the freshcut stem. Remove ALL the green leaves, salt just on the root top and if you have a tuna can, cap and lay a rock on top. Used this method to rid an acre lawn of 50 or so Bull Thistles-the ones that look like they are on steroids. Good luck!

• jayco
    14 years ago

Burdock is edible -- it's actually delicious, in Japan they use it a lot, BUT unfortunately the common weed in this country is the wrong kind -- Arctium minus instead of A. lappa. However, if you're ever in a Japanese restaurant and see something called kinpira gobo on the menu, it's julienned burdock sauteed with carrot and sesame oil and soy sauce, and it's yummy. Too bad ours isn't!

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

Had to check back here to find out what the giant green thing was. Holy Cow! That was some weed. I'm in Washington and I have yet to see a weed like that. Oh sure we have weeds aplenty but not like that monster. And to think I would have let it go and then probably have lost my car in it one day. LOL

• dorisl
    14 years ago

I got one of those, no where near that big, I got it out of one place, but it came back in another next to the compost bin.

Oh well, at least I know what to call it when Im cussing it out.

:)

• pam_whitbyon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahahaha, Doris, I'm sure I'll be cussing it too when it comes back. I know after digging it out for an hour, I didn't get it all.

Oh man. The root was HUGE. About 7 inches in diameter... it had a nice fresh fragrance.. I debated dragging into the kitchen for a gourmet experiment but the coin toss got it into the compost bin or next to it at least... I'm glad I didn't try cooking it after reading your post, Jayco!

Bluesunflower, lol i know! I swear it was growing 3 inches a day... btw I saw your pics on the May flowers thread. You are an amazing photographer and your garden is just gorgeous! Woweeee...

Goodhors and blueberrier, thanks for the home remedy suggestions... I'll definitely need them for some large thistles.

• jayco
    14 years ago

Actually I think it's edible, it's just not supposed to be as good as the other kind. I'm not sure what that means, but next time give it a whirl. I think you're supposed to soak it first, though.

pam_whitbyon thanked jayco
  • bean_counter_z4
    14 years ago

I have a book on edible wild plants. It says you prepare and use the root as you would a carrot--stews, soups, etc. The plant is such a nuisance around here I couldn't make myself eat it.

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

I got one of them bad boys myself & it did not succumb to the poison Ivy strength Round Up last year. I will have to try some of those other techniques this year.

• pam_whitbyon
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was feeling quite smug back in 2009 when I dug out the burdock, root and all. Last summer I noticed a little one, and ignored it. This year, I have been punished with about 12 more of these plants, all bigger and taller than the original. One of them has grown up through my Japanese Maple, and is about 8 ft high, lol. I suppose I'll try vinegar and then Round-Up this time. Sounds like it's worth smuggling across the border into Canada. I had a good chuckle at a lot of the comments on this very old thread - enjoy :)