Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my lilac shrub and dead branches

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 23:39

I have 6 lilac that are about 5' tall. I'm wondering why all of them have so many dead branches. I already saw this last year. I am not sure if I should cut it. But I also want to know the reason why those branches are dead.

Here is some info I recall.
It's located in south part of my property at the back. It gets sun from 9am until 6-7pm. It's 3 years old. It flowered the previous years and never missed.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my lilac shrub and dead branches

Remove the dead branches. Some die back is normal, especially during the first few years.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 26, 09 at 8:23

A little bit if dead branches is ok. If you are getting a lot, something is wrong. Are your branches experiencing sudden wilt? If so, you could have lilac borers.
Remy

o

research pruning of shrubs .... which involves removing up to 1/3 of the branches annually ... the topic has been covered here ad nauseum ....

its the same for all shrubs...

a search engine like google will probably get you a couple million hits ...

good luck

ken

o

Ok. Is it a good time to cut it now? I guess it should be fine because those are dead. I'm going to scrape first to see if that dead branch is brown.

That means, my purplesmoke bush has also exerienced die back. It already has many leaves but the top still doesn't have any leaves as compared to my other smokebush.

o

Top of smokebush might have died back from winter cold. It was a pretty harsh winter with lots of wind and cold.

I would trim out the dead branches on lilacs, check them to see if I could find signs of insects. If you want to do any other shaping of the lilacs, now is the time, right after blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here