Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Marie Britt Ligularia

marquest
10 years ago

I have had Marie Britt Ligularea for 4 years. I moved it 2 times before I moved to the new house moved it three times at the new house in 3 years. Then for the 4th time I moved it last year and it has taken off. I have finally found a sweet spot.
It looked like this October last year. Look at this pic. Do you see the Hakonechloa on the left?

Comments (20)

• marquest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today it looks like this. I measured it is 3 ft wide and 3 ft tall. It has covered the grass and it is as tall as the bush. I was attempting to do a purple yellow design on each side to make the purple leaves pop. It is taking over the companion plants. I will dig up the grass and move it. I am going to see if the bush will fight for its space for now.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

You've moved that plant a lot, but it looks happy now. That's a pretty one. I have a couple that I hope put out that many flowers. They go well with hostas, but the snails and slugs like them too much.

• marquest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Sandy it was a plant on the move. I have never had a plant that had such a death wish in my garden. If I put it in the sun it was trying to die at one point it was one leaf. If I put it in my shade garden it did grow two leaves. It seemed to be very particular where it wanted to grow.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

UPDATE 2017:

The foliage is impressive but we are still waiting for flowers from this ligularia for the past two seasons:

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

Still a little early for the flowers. If I remember, mine show around first week in August.

• marquest
    6 years ago

Yes mine flower late August Sept. I have let the flowers go to seed and now I have it in two other gardens now.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yup, maybe I spoke too soon. It is interesting how different varieties of "Lig" bloom at different times. (Our "Rockets" are in full bloom right now)

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

Now that marquest mentions it, Mine is later than the first week in August.

the colors don't go with anything else, so I don't track their progress as I do some others.

• marquest
    6 years ago

If you want more look around the plant in the spring for the little babies. The mamma plant seems to cover them up and they get smothered and die. Now that I realize there are babies I started getting them in the spring and planting them in different areas.

6 years ago

UPDATE:

You guys were right. Here is our MB Ligularia now sporting a few flowers.

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

I've moved mine at least once. They like their spot so much that now they are too big. I'm looking for someplace where they won't wilt. The flowers are such a harsh color. I've read where people cut them off. I don't want to spend time doing that....so I guess I have to put up with these brassy women.

• marquest
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you do not cut the flower they self sow if you leave the flowers on it through the winter. I was cleaning the hillside where it is growing and I had a couple of babies I have planted in different places.

I noticed I get the most flowers when we have a rainy summer. It must love water.

• Al Dinsmore
    6 years ago

How much time does it take to cut off flowers one minute?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Are we all talking about the same plant?? The OP's initial post referred to Ligularia dentata 'Britt Marie Crawford' (NOT Marie Britt!!), named for the Scottish woman who discovered this selection and which has chocolate brown/burgundy. almost black foliage and late season, daisy-like yellow-orange flowers. The photo most recently posted by rouge21 does not look like the same plant. BMC is known for retaining that deeply colored foliage all season and does not bronze or green out at all.

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

The labeled ones I bought years ago do get a greenish tinge, and look deep olive as the summer goes on. The underside is dark maroon-ish. the new and younger floliage is black. I'd send a pix but battery is dead.

6 years ago

Like this 'Marie'?

6 years ago

A little bit of an off topic post but I thought I could squeeze it in....I was over at friends and I was impressed with this lig specimen:

• kitasei
    6 years ago

A home in my neighborhood has a vast SEA of this - clearly spreading out of control. I've been welcomed to take some of their grasses (also out of control!) so I'm tempted to ask for some lig.. but shall I ask for seeds or a plant or wait for babies in spring?

• marquest
    6 years ago

Ask them if you can look under the plant and see if there are some smaller ones under the plant and ask for seeds too. If you do not see any babies now you can still ask them to look for some babies in the Spring.

If you find some babies this would be a good time to transplant because it is cooler and you will probably get more rain. They hate to dry out even a little when they are first transplanted.