Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. of Woody Perennial

Posted by Drumphan Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 0:14

I'm no expert, but I know a lot of plants and can recognize a lot of plants. But this one, I have absolutely no clue - like I don't have an inkling. It's a woody perennial and is growing well in a shady spot that gets good morning sun. There is an astilbe to the left, so that's what you see to the left and at the bottom. I'm asking about the one with the yellow flowers. It was my mom's, but she has no clue either.

Any ideas? I'm sure someone will know.

Thank you in advance,
-Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. of Woody Perennial

Rue (Ruta graveolens). I recognized the foliage, but had to look up those flowers to make sure it was a match.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 1:26

o

Be very careful if you are working in this area - rue contains coumarins which react with sunlight to cause skin blisters (very simlar to euphorbias and hogweeds). It is a lovely foliage plant (I shear the flowers off mine) which has a beautiful glaucous sheen....but do be aware that it can be a nasty skin irritant. Wear gloves.

o

Bob, is also a host plant for the black swallowtail butterfly :)

Rhonda

o

Thank you all for the I.D. That's what my mom thought it was, but for some reason, when I looked it up, I just kept seeing meadow rue, and it didn't look like that.

And thanks Rhonda. That's good to know. I hope they can find it.

-Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here