Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

columbine dying back fast

I love my columbines but one is already dying back and it's only june. I'm near Anderson SC. Is this normal in my climate? Now I'm having to plant something in front of them to cover the awful looking foliage. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Comments (9)

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

they are plagued with leaf minors but need a picture

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

unless you dead head manically .. this is what they do.. once they have procreated ... produced seed ...

be nice to know.. what type of C you are discussing ...

and it is not uncommon.. if these were new plants.. as they were forced early for sale ... which means they are done faster ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

yep, mine are fading. Cut off the old foliage for a new burst of fresh growth (no blooms though) - I always do this as mine get both leaf miner and mildew (in my thinnish sandy soil).

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One is winky white/red which is dying back pretty quickly. Leaves are drying out and wilting but not from need of water. The other is canadensis red. I planted both last fall. Didn't know they would regrow foliage. Will cut dead foliage off. I'm ok with not getting more flowers until next spring.

I don't think it's leaf miner but will double check. Thanks everyone! Very helpful as always! :-)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Is it hot where you are? We don't do well with them here generally, it gets too hot or maybe its a combination of hot and muggy? People plant them in spring then they die. I think of them as annual bedding plants or one of those Colorado plants that simply don't do well here.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes it is very hot here and having more direct sunlight due to cutting back our neighbors tree branches that were hanging over our property probably isn't helping. It does make me sad because I do love columbines and have so many little ones I've grown from seed. I guess I could move them to a shadier spot in the fall and hope for the best next spring.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The other thing that columbine need in warm muggy areas is GOOD DRAINAGE. they will rot in the ground over the summer in your summer rains. Otherwise one can always go back to the wild ubiquitous A. canadensis. It will stand up to the humidity , heat and rain given draining soil.

A. chrsantha var hinkleyana (Texas Gold) will tolerate heat , more sun than other varieties and humidity given a draining soil. I don't even try other varieties.

Both varieties disapear after blooming and then return next year. They are perennial for me.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked and both winky red/white and canadensis have leafminer damage but the winky one is drying out and the other one seems fine. Makes me wish I had only purchased canadensis. Good to know.

The soil does drain well. I have many small barlows double plants. Do they have problems taking our heat too?

Thanks everyone!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

This URL shows the range of A canadensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: A. canadensis range

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus