Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristie73

Oops Russian Sage :(

kristie73
9 years ago

I think I killed my Russian Sage. I moved it over because it seemed crowded. I probably should have done it before it started getting green. I just keep watering and hoping something will sprout up. Any thing I can do now?

Comments (11)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Give it a bit of shade for a week or so. I usually place a lawn chair over transplants. Extra water won't help since this is a plant that won't be happy with extra water unless you have extra sandy soil. In the future, try transplanting on a day where it is predicted to be cooler or cloudy for a few days, or do it either early in the season or in the fall.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I personally would prune it back. That way the plants energy will go towards forming new roots vs trying to keep the stressed growth alive.

Not sure what your temps are, but if it's hot out it needs to be watered daily if you want it to survive.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

lil is correct. Prune it back.

Kevin

• kristie73
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the tips. I cut it back some and it does seem like it still has life. So we'll see. I watered it some. I don't feel it's being over watered. Its been hot and windy so the soil dries fast. It does already get some afternoon shade. I hope it makes it.

Here's it's twin on the other side of my garden bed is doing good, but I didn't move it.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

It will survive as long as you keep it watered in the heat :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Actually, what happens when plants are cut back is that they divert their energy resources TO replacing their cut leaves, in the opposit direction of the roots. Plants can't do both things very well so the most important function wins the battle.

The leaves are the energy producing factories without which the plant cannot make new roots, grow, fend off diseases and insects.

The time to cut the top back is when parts of it begins to die. It's useless to the plant at that point.

Since you've greatly damaged the root system by moving it, I'd water your plant frequently but with small amounts, mulch it, provide shade.

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

When a plant is stressed/dying, and you just leave it (don't cut back) them all it's energy is trying to keep it alive.

If you cut it back then the energy can focus on regenerating the plant...roots and all.

A much better chance for surviving....correct?

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I think if you cut back a healthy plant growing in the ground then it jettisons a corresponding part of its root system, and then both recover as they can. I think this response will be different between plants. Anything that evolved with being browsed, like a shrub or a perennial, will come back more easily than something like a tree that isn't usually browsed. That's why there is a rule of thumb that if a tree loses more than a third of its canopy in an ice storm then it's pretty much a goner. If I damage roots on a perennial, shrub, most houseplants in pots when I am moving, repotting, or whatever, then I cut back the top growth to even things out some. I find the plant will jettison top growth anyway until it has an amount that the roots can support. (If I trim it then I get to decide what gets jettisoned.) I wouldn't be afraid to cut back the Russian sage, and in fact I think it would be helped. Also I am a big fan of lawn chairs over the plant until it perks up.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

"Actually, what happens when plants are cut back is that they divert their energy resources TO replacing their cut leaves, in the opposit direction of the roots. Plants can't do both things very well so the most important function wins the battle.

The leaves are the energy producing factories without which the plant cannot make new roots, grow, fend off diseases and insects. "

That statement is not entirely accurate.
    lils and aseed are correct in their posts.

In addition:

Yes, leaves produce food for the plant, but roots also store that energy as carbohydrates in addition to providing water to the foliage. When the leaves are stressed - wilted - they cannot produce energy. In order for photosynthesis to take place in the leaves, the leaves need both light and WATER. If the leaves are wilted, they aren't doing anything for the plant. In fact, they are a liability to the plant.

What happens when a tree is extremely stressed by drought? Eventually it drops its leaves. It can't support them. If the drought ends in a reasonable amount of time, the tree will grow new leaves because it has stored energy - carbohydrates - in its roots.

What happens in the spring after a long cold winter? Plants in the garden have lost their leaves. The roots with their stored energy (in addition to rising temps and water) bring the plant out of dormancy and make it possible for the plant to regrow its leaves. Yes, leaves are important, but a plant can survive for a much longer period without leaves as opposed to without roots.

One more example and I'll shut up:

2 years ago I dug out a peony. I guess I missed some roots because this stupid plant keep sprouting new growth and I keep chopping it off. It's a weekly battle. Evidently, there was a lot of stored food in those roots to allow this continual resprouting process to take place.

Kevin

• Natalie Hilliard
    2 years ago

Ive just moved mine. Plenty of seasol for root shock. It's still alive but leaves r wilted. More seasol tomorrow.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz