Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha13_gw

Where to plant a Himalayan Blue Poppy

aloha13
12 years ago

I just got a lovely Himalayan Blue Poppy plant and was warned that they are finicky although I hear it is possible to grow them here in Seattle.

I am trying to figure out where to plant it. I have a lot of shade in my garden from large deciduous trees and the areas that get more sun are kind of scorching all day sun, which I know that this poppy does not like. I have a few spots that are mostly shaded but get some afternoon and morning sun.

Any advice??

Help!

Comments (11)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Do you know which poppy you have? There are several blue Meconopsis and they don't all require the same conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Meconopsis

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Some morning sun and afternoon shade is good for any variety - even here, afternoon summer sun can be a bit too intense for them. And they like a richly organic, well-draining soil that stays consistently moist (not wet).

Good luck!! I've tried many varieties many times and the best I could do is consider them as exotic (and expensive!) 'annuals' :-) Except for Meconopsis napaulensis, which doesn't flower for several seasons, then promptly croaks as soon as it does. And isn't blue.

• Freda
    12 years ago

I have Meconopsis Grandis and it bloomed the first year, didn't bloomed last year but its back and I'm hoping to see blooms this year. Its beautiful when in bloom. I have mine planted in part sun which it gets in the morning, its not direct sun and light shade.

• Freda
    12 years ago

Sorry, actually I didn't let it bloom the first year I planted it, I think I pinched off the buds and it bloomed the next year, (not to confuse you).

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Plant it where it is convenient to pray over it ;)

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

Where to plant Meconopsis:

Scotland. There are beauties growing there. Or any place where it doesn't commonly get above 70F in the summer or much below freezing in the winter.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Oh, they'll take winter cold alright - they are native to Tibet. In fact, the best plantings of most Himalayan species of Meconopsis are in Alaska as this has a summer climate that is most conducive to their growth - cool and damp. Summer heat and dryness are an anathema to them. And the fact that they are unlikely to perennialize if allowed to bloom the first season, if they are not simply completely monocarpic to begin with.

• aloha13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am just going to have to pick a part-sun spot that is moist and pray. So pretty, if it does come back I will be pleased, and if it doesn't I suppose I could always get another one and torture myself again next year :)

• ghettogardener
    10 years ago

I was just looking at photos and came across this article. Whoo-I didn't even check the dates, but maybe you'll still be interested? It's still pretty neat- a field right there coming up yearly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article fronm the Seattle Times

• User
    10 years ago

they need some shade, plenty of moisture (but very well drained) and an acidic soil - many of them will not tolerate lime at all).

Which one is it? Baileyii? Betonicifolia? Regia?.....or, you might have got lucky and found 'Lingholm' the most reliably perennial and least fussy.