Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Photos of my raised garden

eigdeh
13 years ago

Years ago I mentioned on this forum about the raised garden I was building at the time. There was a little discussion about it. I thought I would share what it looks like today, and what it looked like about a month ago when different flowers were in bloom and things were a little smaller.

{{gwi:231642}}

{{gwi:231644}}

{{gwi:231645}}

{{gwi:231647}}

{{gwi:231649}}

{{gwi:231651}}

{{gwi:231654}}

Same Garden just about a month ago:

{{gwi:231656}}

If you look carefully at the hummingbird feeder in this photo you will see a hummer approaching the feeder. I had no idea it was there when snapping the photo.

{{gwi:231658}}

{{gwi:231660}}

Comments (18)

• christine1950
    13 years ago

It's lovely. Nice job :>)

• terrene
    13 years ago

Very pretty! What is the almost flourescent pink red flower next to the Nepeta in the last 2 pictures?

Do you get a lot of hummers on the feeder and in your garden?

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks christine and terrene!

Those pink flowers are Heuchera - Coral Bells.

I have had hummers in my yard since the end of April. Usually I just see them after 7pm. They prefer the feeders, though I see them on occasion go to the flowers on the way to the feeders. I don't have large numbers like some. Most days I just see a male, and some days also a female or two.

Ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

How pretty! I remember when you first posted about this garden! Gee, is it really "years ago" already?! Time flies! But the garden has turned out beautifully. You must get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's always fun to watch a garden from start to...well, I won't say "finish", lol, because we all know that never happens! From start to where it is now - how's that, lol?

Thanks!
    :)
    Dee

• gwenfisher
    13 years ago

Beautiful garden.....very nice!!!

• jlcjlr
    13 years ago

Lovely! It is a joy to watch a perennial bed at it evolves and changes so quickly during a single season. Could you compose a list of plants? I keep a PowerPoint wish list/gardener's diary. I would like to include your photos but would like a plant list too.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Gorgeous pics Ken! I love all the coneflowers; I had to toss about 7 plants and possibly more to go (diseased). I'm currently in the process of replacing them, although technically I don't have the room for them, but that's never stopped me before. Are there monarda's in the first 2 pics (1st pic top center & 2nd pic upper right)?

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dee! I remember you posting to the original thread! Thanks for commenting on this one. Thanks Gwen and jlcjlr! jl, do you want a list of all the plants in the garden or do you want what I see in one or all of the photos?

Tracey, yes... that is monarda. Believe it or not I have only seen hummers taste them and not hangout on them. Of course there are so many flowers and it is dark between the flowers, so I could be missing them. What they seem to love is the lucifer (crocosmia), the red in the second photo.

Oh, terrene... those coral bells are not hot pink, but indeed red. It was a weird lighting and the white balance on the camera was fooled a bit.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Great job on that stone wall too! I can't believe how small that hummingbird is. Very nice stand of Monarda and love your echinaceas.

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Your gardens are gorgeous! Everything looks so lush, and it's interesting to see the bloom in different seasons. I love the flat stone of the raised bed. I am itching to do that!

• grinder12000
    13 years ago

Very excellent - I could spend all day in that garden with my camera!! Well Done.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I'm jealous; my monarda's look like crap this year. Those darn moth caterpillars, again, despite my handpicking, but I was to late. I deadheaded and will hope for a decent rebloom, although I won't hold my breath.

Ken; I don't know if you're close to a Metropolitan Plant Exchange, but they're having their 40% off sale until July 5th...not that it looks like you need anything ;)

• merindah
    13 years ago

It looks terrific.

• shropshire_lad
    13 years ago

What kind of monardas are those? They're beautiful, as is the whole garden!

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Prairiemoon, connietn, grinder, merindah, and shropshire lad.

Prairiemoon, yes... those hummers indeed are small!

Shropshire, the monarda that I have is Rasberry Wine. I have not seen hummers take any interest in them though which was surprising since I have heard over and over how monarda is a hummer favorite, but I just read on a hummer forum that someone said the same thing about the rasberry wine. He stated that they spend a lot of time at his jacob cline and completely bypass his rasberry wine. Something to think about if you like hummers. I believe they are both similar in size, difference being jacob cline flowers are deep red and the rasberry wine have a slight pink tint to them.

Tracey, not sure why the caterpillars leave the monarda in the raised garden alone. I have monarda on the side of my house, a smaller variety and I am lucky to get many petals on those. I don't have a plant exchange that close to me. I am getting ready to make a smaller raised garden on the side of my house from the stone left over from the garden shown above. I think it will look good, though I am beginning to think of all the extra maintenance that will be involved. :C( Plus in the back of my mind, not that we are thinking of selling, but I would think a house with a lot of perennials could scare off potential buyers.

Ken

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

What a delight to see your photos! I love the combo of the hot red and yellow daylilies together, they really set each other off. Your coneflowers look so big and healthy. The blue iris, is that a siberian iris? I love the intensity of that blue. I was supposed to get some in a trade, but they turned out to be yellow. Yours are great partnered with the nepeta.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gottagarden!

Yes... those are Siberian iris's, I got them from Bluestone perennials years ago. I have other blue iris's that I got from a friend, I have no idea of the name, but the flowers are a deeper blue and they are a little smaller. Both are nice in their own way.

Ken

Here are shots I took of them when they were in their prime, just a few days after the photos above where taken.

{{gwi:231662}}

{{gwi:231663}}

{{gwi:231665}}

• DYH
    13 years ago

Ken,
    Your garden looks so well-maintained, healthy and beautiful! Wonderful choices with your plants as all seem to be thriving -- right plant, right place.

I have raspberry wine, blue stocking and Jacob Cline monarda, but since I grow so many salvias, the hummingbirds go to those instead. The bees love the monarda and I love it combined with the coneflowers.

Cameron