Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Rose Champion - Lychnis coronaria

brit5467
13 years ago

Mine did fabulous. Transplanted from another residence prior to last spring, it bloomed last year and and is now fuller and blooming again this year.

But I think it's about done. Didn't know I should deadhead so had not been doing so. Lower leaves and further up seem to be looking droopy and dying. Am watering enough.

So can I cut it back? How far down? If so, will it flower again this season?

I don't have mine in full sun although I see it is said it likes that. Mine seems happy in dappled sun with a bit of full coming thru the tree. Just seems top-heavy and is tipping over and looks in need of a trim.

Would also like to divide it? Can I?

How about totally transplanting it somewhere where it can spread? Not in that sort of 'home' right now and I hate to lose the re-seeding it is said to have.

Comments (19)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

I like to let mine set seeds before deadheading because I like to have new plants all over the garden. If you don't want new plants, you can cut all the stems leaving only the basal leaves.

If you want it to re-bloom, then cut the stem just above the node...where it branches out from the main stem.

I have mine both in full sun and partial shade. They are blooming fine.

Re division, are there more than 1 plant in the same spot? If so, division is possible. I like to divide mine in early spring, though. They do better in cooler weather than in this heat. However, it is much easier to just scatter new seeds in new location. They come up readily.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

These are quite short lived perennials. But they seed about with great abandon. I cut mine back to the rosette except for one or two stems I allow to seed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

i thought they were biennials.. though that is short term ....

spending the first year as a floret.. with maybe some late flowers ... and blooming profusely the second year ... seeding to beat the devil ... and then basically dieing ... but often babes are right there near the older plant ..

i let them peter out.. and then they just pull right out ...

insure that you spread some seed.. in a marked location .... and save some seed ... in case of failure ...

when you moved.. with hindsight ... you should have taken the plant.. and some seed.. and planted both to insure the continuum...

just keep an eye out for the babes.. with their silvery foliage.. and you should be all set ....

ken

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Exactly as Ken says! Mine keep moving around. This year, I think they are finally where I would like them to stay, so I will be scattering seed there.

Two years ago I didn't deadhead and I wound up with hundreds but they are so easy to pull up that it was no big deal. I love them and would never be without.

The lower foliage tends to get ratty looking by late summer, so plant something lower growing in front.

Here's a picture of mine from 2006, July 1:

{{gwi:231761}}

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I truly adore that color. They can be weedy and seedy but I don't care. I love that silver foliage with the magenta flower. So cheerful with our gray skies.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks EVERYONE so much for all the help. Just to clarify, Ken, I didn't move....IT DID ;) A friend 'stole' it from an friend's house (with permission) and I'm so thankful he did. It seems to be only one plant so I won't try dividing.

My issue with it is, it got planted in a narrow side of the house bed, with two gigantic hostas on either side, so nowhere for the seeds to drop, really, so no new plants for me (and no room for next year). However, I may have cut them all off last year, don't remember. But this is why I wanted to move it. So it would have room to flourish. Too hot now, I gather, so I'll wait on that.

Two MORE questions (that I could certainly look up, but am in no hurry and you guys are so helpful)---

laceyvail - What's the rosette? And once the flowers have died, are they ready to harvest NOW for seed? And can I scatter seeds NOW and get plants with flower THIS year?

pitimpinai - What are the the basal leaves and will it rebloom THIS year after cutting back?

Tks again,
    bonnie aka brit5467

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Rosette of basal leaves = leaves of seedlings or small plants that radiate from the center stem.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tks pitimpinai !!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

Plants that appear from seed scattered this year will not bloom until next year.

• cheleinri
    13 years ago

I just have to say that's a great picture a2zmom.

I'd leave the dead flowers until I'm sure I have ripe seeds- they will be dry and start to open showing the seeds inside. I could be wrong on this and you could harvest them right away..? Maybe someone else knows.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tks to both !! I tried picking a few off and they're not ready. And since they won't bloom this year, I'm in no hurry to sow.

But wondering....do dead flower heads need to stay on plant to ripen? Can I cut back and let the stems and heads dry naturally or do they need nourishment from host plant? May be a dumb question, but I'n not real familiar with working with seeds.

And yes, great pic a2zmom. Here's a pic of mine in full bloom (before lower leaves got ratty).

{{gwi:231762}}

• sue36
    13 years ago

These are highly invasive for me. I am pulling them out of a garden now, they take over even in part shade. I didn't do anything to get them to seed, just neglect did it.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

cheleinri and brit, thanks a bunch. That's my "anything goes" garden and I can always count on my rose campion to add a perfect note.

Brit, what i do is cut back lmost all my stems but leave a few to ripen naturally. This year I am going to collect the seed so that I can be sure to spread it where I want. Or, if that fails, I'll just move some plants next spring!

• sue36
    13 years ago

For me, it is one of those plants that spreads far from the mother plant. I frequently find babies in the lawn, but they do come out easily.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, that's like my pink evening primrose. I only bought one small pot two years ago, planted it on one end of the garden and now I have them all along the front. Pretty tho, so I keep them.

Also a2zmom -- that's what I'll do. Trim, but leave some there for harvesting. TKS !! BTW, mine IS still blooming. Do you know how much longer it will do so? It's starting to get really hot here now and it's always humid.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

Brit, in my zone, I just got mu first flower yesterday. Usually, it will keep blooming right through July as long as I keep deadheading. August I have a few blooms, but the show is basically over.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

a2zmom, I just checked and took a pic (to identify...didn't know what it was) on 5/27 and was already in full bloom so guessing I'll get about a month left. But I have NOT been deadheading. So gonna get right on that tomorrow !! Tks for that info !!

Gosh, I LOVE this site !! Everyone's been soooo helpful and responsive !! :-)

• steve1young
    13 years ago

I have 'Gardener's World' and was wondering what color it would be. It bloomed this season a beautiful deep maroon fuschia shade. Pretty cool!

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, steve, I bet that's beautiful. Have not seen that in any of the pics online. Lucky YOU !!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource