Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinsfollowme

How to get rid of dogwood shrubs/subshrubs

robinsfollowme
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been reading & learning from you guys for years now ... I almost feel guilty getting all the knowledge I've collected for FREE!

I decided to post because I'm presently in a dilemma over a friend's perennial garden. Perhaps 15 years ago, she planted just a couple of variegated dogwoods in her garden hoping they would be a good border planting & most optimistically provide some sense of privacy from her neighbor's backyard. She swears she only planted a couple yet now there are at least 15-20 of them! And, she wants my help to completely get rid of them. Completely. I tried to remove a few a couple years ago, bu they continue to come back (I pulled the roots out of the ground, add a herbicide and thought that would do it - but they came back). I know it is borderline sacrilegious to exterminate perfectly good shrubs/perennials (?) but she really wants to renovate her garden and go in a new direction. Since they seem to somehow multiply "at will," we are looking for a way to at the least pare down the number to a handful at best. Does anyone have any helpful advice on how to effectively get rid of these dogwoods?

Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure of which would be correct for this kind of question and thought perennials would be an OK one to ask in. Any help is so greatly appreciated in advance - thank you all!

Lisa.

Comments (5)