Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gallardia flop question

Posted by bgaviator 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 3:41

I have noticed my Arizona Sun Gallardia has been starting to flop forward towards the sun lately......definitely not the most attractive. What should I do? Should I cut it back? Is it getting too much water maybe? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gallardia flop question

mmm, mine flop all over the place but I just ignore it - it is in a giant clump and even though the plants fall over, the stalks reorientate themselves (vaguely) upright. If it really annoys you, try using peasticks or any other shrubby prunings as inconspicuous supports.

o

Campanula - if you have the time... please step over to the Landscape Design forum and give us your perspective on ivy - yay or nay and if it's problematic in the UK. This has been a "hot topic" for several threads going back a ways now.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape design

o

Let's see if I can get this right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape design

o

My Arizona Sun is much, much taller this year than in previous years, and it also is flopping on the outside stems. As a matter of fact, almost all my perennials look like they are on stilts this year-I have no idea why. Perhaps the mild winter had something to do with it. My AS is finishing up its first flush of bloom and I'm going to dead head and perhaps cut it back a bit. Normally this plant blooms until the frost kills the flowers, so cutting it back won't keep it from later reblooming. I love this plant for the front of the border.

Linda

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 22:03

I have the burgundy gallardia and it has done that and I just cut it back. Will check to see if any new growth is happening on it or it shows that it is a tough flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here