Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell123

save the geraniums help please

danell123
9 years ago

Ok i have a very large perennial garden to remove and it is mid June :-( we are moving these plants this weekend. Any tips on saving the geraniums?? I saw two big clumps in the weeds. I think i can handle all other plants in this garden. This garden was planted in 2010. That house along with the garden was given to my mother in law. She hates the garden wants ferns abd other green shrubs only (now she says) i am happy to get my plants However it is covered in weeds tall has me( poor plants).

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wing it

dig a gob of soil with them.. stick in a plastic grocery bag.. carry to new garden.. dig hole.. insert. and water..

same for any plant ... no extra rules for Gs

ken

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Ditto what Ken said + give them a season or two to recover from transplant shock. You don't post your hardiness zone so depending on how hot it is where you are, I suggest deep watering the transplanted geraniums. Fill a clean plastic milk, water or juice jug with water, poke a pinhole an inch from the bottom and set the jug close to the base of the transplant. The water will gently flow from the jug. Water remaining in the jug once the level falls below the pinhole will keep the jug from being tossed around by the wind.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

BTW .. when you have it out.. try to ID any roots of weeds.. that are not similar to the geranium.. and remove them ... before replanting ...

it is not the prime season to be doing this... but you do what you have to do.. when you can..

just dont expect them to be pretty ... i would be happy.. simply is the lived ... and i wouldnt be surprised.. if they die back pretty far ... its all about expectations... maybe you will beat the odds... and they will look pretty.. if they do.. do a happy dance.. but dont go all unhappy if they dont look great ...

all that said.. you will be hard pressed to kill them outright ...

i would take a gob of soil with them.. definitely.. not bare root this time of year ...

ken

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou!!! And we are in zone 5.. Yes they look pretty where they are i do expect to not look so pretty once moved. But yes i really wanna save them to do that i gotta get them to my house. Thanku we will pray myb with luck and all they will look nice their first year with me lol. I will post a pic soon of those. Prim roses was easy.

• User
    9 years ago

geraniums are easy too - I moved a socking great Rozanne before the roofers stomped all over it. Cut back as much of the top growth as you can (never mind if you miss a years blooms - survival over the years is the goal). Lots of soil and absolutely buckets of water - puddle the holes in with a full can. If the holes drain fast, do another one.....until you get a few minutes for the water to vanish. Dump the rootball in the dug hole - dont muck about mixing compost or manure -, and stay on top of the watering for the next 2 months. Np problems. Anything with almighty taproots might be a bit tougher....but still (just about) doable if you dig deep (I have moved roses on a laxa rootstock - nightmare) its all about the biggest rootball (wet it thoroughly before you dig, it holds it together better) and loads of irrigation. Good luck.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio