Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell123

to many plants!! help!

danell123
9 years ago

I love goldstrum(black eye susan. I have over 100 now! My question is how do i go about starting to sell them every year? To keep my numbeRs down. Do i have a once yearly yard/plant sell.. I will pot the extras up and sell them.should i start a small plant perennial store i really want toooo but have no one to help. I can do it by myself if done yearly for a few days do i need a greenhouse sell license??? I have other types of great plants as well .. Ideas please!!

Comments (19)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I'm not sure how large the market is for that plant, but you could sell them as people do a yard sale--advertise and set them out.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

Not to discourage>>but I believe it would take more of your time potting them up etc. than would be making any amount of money that would be of any significance.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, unfortunately, it's very easy to propagate, and thus if anyone wants a mass, all they need is one.

• User
    9 years ago

I sell surplus plants on ebay or at car boot sales, If I had the right circumstances, I would do what a number of gardening friends do....which is set up a plant table at the front of my property with an honesty box or a note to post money through the letterbox. As long as there is a space for people to stop and browse, this can be a good way of at least paying for a gardening hobby without the huge capital needed to set up in a full-on business. Selling on ebay is also a good idea since you do not need to have a huge inventory - I sometimes only list 1 or 2 plants.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

As I've said before, Craigslist has worked very well for me and I've made a nice pot of $$ doing so. With that said, you never know what is going to be popular from year to year and unless you find someone wanting a large number of a particular plant, it usually works best to have a large selection of plants for your customers to pick from. Someone might not be willing to drive all over town for a couple of rudbeckias. But you never know. Placing an ad is free, so it might be worth a shot.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

crikey ... throw them in the compost pile ..

too many.. is too many ...

so.. cost of pot.. media... water.. maintenance ... etc ... dont get caught spending more money on the process.. than you can earn back ....

do you really want to tend a hundred pots???? .. sooner or later ... you will just be a pot farmer.. and have no time for the garden ..

put an ad in craigs thingee... have a stock of plastic grocery bags.. if anyone contacts you ... dig them as you sell them ... depending on your location.. be careful who you invite to your garden ...

not every plant has value.. so throw out.. what you cant sell... its not a crime.. to cut back.. a marauding population ...

say goodbye devils advocate... 'bye'

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

" have a stock of plastic grocery bags.. if anyone contacts you ... dig them as you sell them ... "

Yes, that's the way I did it. Works like a charm.

Kevin

• mary_max
    9 years ago

Just walked in from pulling some here. Ken is very right. I'd listen to him. Throw them out. In the past year I have been digging them out of garden and I tried to give to friends or neighbors. They almost run away now when they see me out in garden. I couldn't even get people to come get them for free after posting an ad. I actually hauled trailer loads of iris bulbs to compost and loads of perennials to compost pit this last year. Loads!

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh that is sad i don't wanna kill them :-( lowes sells them and walmart and i saw them at every garden center around here. I have a nice field of them I dug them up over the years and gave them their own field they are garden bullies!!

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Guess I'm weighing in on the side of the Grump Dept. (I'm kidding- Ken)

My trash is currently full of culled plants which I "edited" out this weekend. I ran out of room, had to smash em in pretty tight. Its real pretty inside the two bins & even fragrant, full of flowers and such.

Over the years I have sent enough cactus cuttings and perfectly good pads to the local landfill to grow an entire desert.

Seeds are one thing, those I save and distribute but extra plants I merely edit. Its a yearly procedure.

Nature, when properly functioning culls out extras in various ways so I have no problem with this nor do I feel guilty. The remaining plants will benefit.

I have a full time job already. I worked in a nursery one year long time ago. Never ever again.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Thanks to Kevin's advice I also tried craigslist last year with good success.

I would caution you against taking the trouble, pots, soil and watering to put them all in pots. That is certainly more trouble that its worth. You can put in a CL ad, then dig up clumps for people as needed. Put the clump in a bag, hand it over, done deal.

I am about to list all the plants I need to get rid of this year. Anyone wanna road trip to Montana?

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Been gardening for a long time and it took me a long time to realize it's not a crime to compost or edit in some way what you can't use or foist on neighbors and friends. But I have resorted to kicking some of the more desirable things to the curb - in a plastic bag - and they're snapped up in pretty short order.

Never had much sustained luck with Black eyed Susans - good the first season, struggle the next and disappear by the third. My too many item is Lilium Lancifolium, every bulbil that hits the ground seems to sprout. When they've died back, I'll dig some of the blooming sized bulbs, put a few in the annually accumulated plastic garden pots along with a little baggie of the bulbils and planting instructions. Wow - do those disappear!

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey duluthinbloomz4!!! You need some gold strum!!! Make a road trip to my lovely field :-) every one says its my soil they like and i have way over a 100 pots ha ha. I take care of my plants like i do animals and kids. And i made sure all my family and friends got enough.. My poor grams was confused she thought i planted the wild black eye susan in her garden years latter she says what are those really? They some mean tuff plants!

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonder who would win goldstrum verses orange day lily originally from asia hmmm

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

PS. Lilium lancifolium isn't an orange ditch lily/daylily (hemerocallis fulva) . It's the true tiger lily - recurved petal turks cap type with the dark spots.

True dat. It is originally from Asia. :-)

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 1:11

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

duluthinbloomz4: if you still have too many we could trade some if you want.

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok now i am confused about the lily!! I know i have turks cap, asiatic, longiflorum (white) and

• danell123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madonna lily(candidum hybrid. However my other bully who i called the orange day lily from asia is orange with no specks and has sword like leaves. This book i had since high school has it listed as orange day lily. Book was written by a roger tory peterson. I like to use that book to identify wildflowers. But i heard several others call that orange bully a tiger lily. Lol

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Something I've done several times is post on freecycle. That's a nation wide e-mail group for free recycling of anything you don't want.

People who were interested came to my place on the specified day and, under my supervision, dug out what I didn't need. I got rid of/ gave away echinacea, dianthus, penstemon, centurea montana, digitalis - all of which had seeded so I had more than I needed. Everyone went home happy and I didn't need to do any of the work.